Cloth Diapers

Replies

• rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Wow! That's quite a stash!

I love cloth nappies!

I used cloth nappies for my two children, and will do for this one too. I bought unisex ones for my first, but when number 2 was a girl I bought lots more 'pretty' girly nappies, it can be quite addictive! I have to say pretty cloth nappies look fabulous under baby dresses, much prettier than a disposable!!

Once they were on solids we used flushable liners for both, which my husband and I (and anybody else who changed a nappy) found very easy to use.

Just wondering if any of you have considered mooncups or cloth mamapads for yourselves, which are kind of cloth nappy versions of tampons. I bought a mooncup 6 years ago after the birth of my first child (when I was nappy shopping!) and I have probably used 3 or 4 disposable tampons/ pads in 6 years because of it! I love my mooncup, and love the idea that all those tampons aren't clogging up the environment! You have to wait until after you give birth though as there are different sizes depending on if you given birth vaginally or not!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    I really need to do a full count of my stash. I'm done for now, pretty sure I have enough to last me...forever ;) I found a TON of gently used CDs in the area and even have a separate stash for daycare days and for at home days. My husband and I went to a diaper store and they even gave us a tutorial on how to use the pre-fold diapers with covers. I figure for the first weeks I'll want to use those until his lil legs plump out because I didn't want to buy any NB sized diapers. The remaining diapers are all one-size of various different manufacturers since I wasn't sure which would work the best until I can try them
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    I've finally convinced DH to try cloth diapers, but we have yet to purchase anything. We've put a small stash on our registry, just enough for us to try, and if for some reason is doesn't work we won't have a ton of them to off load. I think DH thinks it will be gross, I personally am concerned about the extra laundry involved.

I've read some people don't like to use their cloth diapers on breand-new borns because the meconium is hard to clean up. What are your thoughts?

Mpederson - I'm interested to know how it goes with the AppleCheeks! They're the brand I have on my registry. I went with that brand because they have snaps, I hear velcro diapers can be a pain to wash and the velcro can wear out. I have 5 size 1 (7-20lbs), 15 inserts, and a few boosters on my registry. Supposedly you can lay the insert on the diaper instead of putting it in the pocket, and if only the insert gets dirty you can reuse the diaper part a few times before needing a chance. Hoping we have enough selected so that we can get 1-1/2 days out of the stash, and buy more if we decide to stick with it.

Rachypompa - I've never used a mooncup, but I know someone who does and she loves it! Personally I don't think it's my cup of tea, a little too messy sounding for my liking.
  • FaugHorn
    I've read some people don't like to use their cloth diapers on breand-new borns because the meconium is hard to clean up. What are your thoughts?

I have TONS of the pre-folds (everyone I bought diapers from threw in about 10 pre-folds lol) so I'm not using any "pricey" diapers for NB size. I have a couple rolls of the flushable liners which I want to use at the beginning as well to make the meconium clean-up easier and save the diapers.
  • I am so wanting to cloth diaper. Husband and I just will not have the money to be buying disposable all the time. Husband seems to be on board so far (lucky me).
    How many diaper covers and inserts do I need to buy, if I am doing laundry every couple of days? I know I have to buy newborn ones special and then buy one size ones.
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,380 Member
    I am so wanting to cloth diaper. Husband and I just will not have the money to be buying disposable all the time. Husband seems to be on board so far (lucky me).
    How many diaper covers and inserts do I need to buy, if I am doing laundry every couple of days? I know I have to buy newborn ones special and then buy one size ones.

That really depends on the brand. We use thirsties duo wraps and they fit from 6 lbs to 18lbs so we only bought one pack of newborn for right when he was born until his cord fell off. Then I have used the thirsties since then. Just so you know they have three snaps on the front that adjust to the size of the baby.
    I have 10 covers but would like to have 2 more just so to feel a little better about jot running out while I wash. I am not sure on our inserts...I think we have about 25 or so. We made most of our inserts though and they work great. We have 3 store bout inserts and they work the same as our homemade.
    Good luck! I personally love cloth diapers and cloth wipes! Cloth wipes clean so much better and you don't have to use a million to get the job done.
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    with the cloth wipes did you make your own as well? What did you make them out of? I bought some cd's from a lady in town and she had a box of misc. baby stuff to sell including a cloth diaper wipe warmer. Up until that point I hadn't thought about that before....if you're going to wash the diapers anyway the wipes are no big deal. Do I need a wipe warmer? What do you do with it? or is that just something you use if you get one at the baby shower :)
  • nicolenoel
    nicolenoel Posts: 25 Member
    Can we share pictures of our stash?
  • bmfrazie
    with the cloth wipes did you make your own as well? What did you make them out of? I bought some cd's from a lady in town and she had a box of misc. baby stuff to sell including a cloth diaper wipe warmer. Up until that point I hadn't thought about that before....if you're going to wash the diapers anyway the wipes are no big deal. Do I need a wipe warmer? What do you do with it? or is that just something you use if you get one at the baby shower :)
    I have mine in a wipes warmer that isn't plugged in because we don't have a plug on that wall. I also keep them in one of the hard to go wipes cases in the diaper bag. Pretty much there are two diff ways of doing it. You can either use a wipes holder of some form or keep them dry in a basket and wet them each time you change. I have tried both and prefer to just have mine mixed up and wet ready to go.
    Our stash on wipes is crazy with a little if this and little of that because I had this thought that I would need way more than I do. You can use just regular baby wash clothes. We have about 24 of those in our wipes stash. You can make them yourself out of flannel. We have a handful of those also. Or you can buy ones that are actually made for cloth wipes. We have three different brands and all are different. I don't favor one over the other.
    You can look up suggestions on cloth wipes online. I found a million different recipes for what you mix to keep them wet. I have tried doing just water but found with my hard water it was a little rough on his bum. So I mix baby oil, baby soap, and baby lotion with water and it works great! Plus leaves him smelling good.
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Ah yes cloth wipes! LOL! I made loads when I was pregnant with my first out of old undies!! Just zig zagged the edges of little squares! I used to make up a little solution, like warm water and lavender oil? I can't remember now, I'd forgotten all about the wipes!!
  • mpederson
    Does anyone use Norwex products? I'm wondering if their laundry soap is safe for cd's. I didn't see it on that website that was posted earlier.
  • bmfrazie
    Any tips on good over night diapers? We use thirsties covers and inserts but they do not have room to add an extra insert. He is soaking through mutliple diapers a night. Would an all in one or pocket diaper be better for at night?
  • FaugHorn
    Any tips on good over night diapers? We use thirsties covers and inserts but they do not have room to add an extra insert. He is soaking through mutliple diapers a night. Would an all in one or pocket diaper be better for at night?

I haven't tried yet but I'm going to use pocket diapers that have additional liners and all-in-ones with an extra pad added in. That's what I was told would work the best.
  • mpederson
    Faughorn - that's what I heard too. I haven't got to try out ANY of my diapers of course but the pocket ones you can stuff the pocket and add a soaker on top. I'll have to go back and take notes from the earlier parts of this thread! Pretty sure there were a few experienced ladies on here with advice for that.

I've seen a few brands that boast an overnight diaper or heavy wetter diaper as well. Probably just more padding

ps. i'm out of control i HAVE to stop buying them even if it's an awesome deal.

also i posted a question about norwex but I see maybe no one uses it. It's one of those products that's chem free blah blah blah and people have home parties and sell all the products. I emailed the company and they said it was basically free of everything except they do add brightners. They also added it was safe for cloth diapers but I thought brighteners were a no no.
  • FaugHorn
    also i posted a question about norwex but I see maybe no one uses it. It's one of those products that's chem free blah blah blah and people have home parties and sell all the products. I emailed the company and they said it was basically free of everything except they do add brightners. They also added it was safe for cloth diapers but I thought brighteners were a no no.

I'm using Charlie's Soap because I could order it through Amazon with free shipping, then I registered for another couple of tubs :smile: They received good reviews from cloth diaper sites and they weren't particularly expensive and I liked that they were fragrance free.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Bumping for all the great info :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • mpederson
    cloth diaper update: I just started using the cd's last week (my son will be 8 wks old). He has the skinniest legs ever and the diapers didn't fit very well but he's starting to pork up so we've been using the cd's as much as we can. (We should say I.....haha....my husband changed his mind and will only put a disposable diaper on him or just not change him at all)

So far I like the pocket style the best with my favourite being the applecheeks size 1 and kawaii pure and natural velcro closure. I tried the thirsties duo covers with prefolds and they worked pretty slick, I just need more prefolds.

The amp size small diapers are ok as well but he's always leaking out of one leg for some reason.

I am NOT a fan of the grovia AIO newborn diapers. I really thought they would be my favourite just because they were small and all one diaper but they just didn't work as well for me.

There is a local cloth diaper exchange coming up, maybe I'll be able to find someone to trade with me :)
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Just reviving this thread for people interested in cloth diapers. I'm not sure if I'll end up using them or not.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    bumping to come back and read it all :)
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    ok, so I registered for a few gdiapers....I figured if I don't like them then at least someone else paid for them ;)

After looking at a variety of options I'm thinking trifolds with a cover. What brand of covers do you all like? I saw thirsties and they seem to have some mixed reviews. I also thought bummis looked nice.

I don't think I want a pull up cover but rather a snap or velcro cover.

I know that even if they have great reviews no diaper is guaranteed to be the right fit for my baby, but since it's such a big investment (to start) I'd love to hear what you all like.

Am I right in thinking that I can get a ton of prefolds, and maybe do the microfleece inserts and then just get a small variety of covers?

Thanks everyone!