Low calorie beer

Options
scloyd
scloyd Posts: 327 Member
I quit drinking soft drinks (Coke, Pepsi etc.) on New Years Eve 1999. It was my Millenium New Years resolution and I haven't had a drop in over 11 years. I do drink unsweetened ice tea.

I bowl on a league every other Sunday night and I always have a couple of beers. I only drink beer while bowling or at a party/wedding etc. I switched to Miller 64 once I started MFP. I don't really like it, but I'm getting use to it. Does anyone else drink low calorie beer? If so, what's your favorite?

Replies

• Mijo88
    Mijo88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I drink Molson 67 when I'm just heading out but every once and while I the calories just don't matter to me and I'll drink whatever I want.
  • liveonlocation
    liveonlocation Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually drink Jack & Water. Only 65 cals per ounce. If I'm going o drink a beer, it'll be full flavour, or it's not worth it.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I drink regular Yuengling Lager, 128 calories vs 99 for light, for 29 calories to me its worth it.
  • scloyd
    Options
    Since bowling usually last 2 1/2 hours, I register 30 minutes of bowling as exercise since I'm actually bowling for about 30 minutes. That comes out to about 171 calories for me. I think I'll switch to a better beer and the 171 exercise calories will be a wash. I'm having fun bowling so I might as well enjoy the beer.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    I think I'll switch to a better beer and the 171 exercise calories will be a wash. I'm having fun bowling so I might as well enjoy the beer.

Amen, I mean Beer is to be enjoyed, I would rather have one good beer than two watered down ones.
  • liveonlocation
    liveonlocation Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I drink regular Yuengling Lager, 128 calories vs 99 for light, for 29 calories to me its worth it.

Wish we had Yuengling up he in the Great White North. Great beer, great history.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Wish we had Yuengling up he in the Great White North. Great beer, great history.

I used to live in Indiana and could only drink it when I was on the east coast on the Railroad, Since I moved to TN it is available and I have taken advantage of that fact.
  • mistermog
    mistermog Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My Christmas present was a homebrewing kit (which I've been adding to ever since). I haven't found a recipe for low-calorie beer yet, but I've made a damn good American Wheat (ex. Boulevard Wheat) and Belgian White (ex. Blue Moon or Shocktop) and both were around 171. I've found I can generally fit that in when I need/want to without having to bend over backward too hard.

I'm fermenting an Apple Ale right now, and haven't looked-in to how many calories that one is. I'm a little worried about that.

But, at heart, I really love Bulleit Bourbon. I usually just don't log-in those nights.
  • scloyd
    Options
    mistermog,

I've always heard that Kansas City has some great BBQ. Is it true?

We live about an hour west of Chicago and we drive to Denver about once a year to visit family. We often have thought about taking a side trip to Kansas City for some BBQ. Is it worth it?
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I prefer good beer, but as far as this discussion, I like Yuengling light, and even seem to have a family predisposition towards Bud Light. I think it is a requirement if you are from GA.

On the plus side, if I have too many to drink I tend to burn a lot of calories acting stupid immediately afterwards.
  • teejayjancik
    teejayjancik Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I congratulate you scloyd on giving up the soda's. I am an easy 2-3 cans of Coke per day guy myself and it has been a real struggle to not reach for one of those when I am thirsty. I have found the best alternative is the bottled Lipton Green Tea-Diet. Gives you some flavor that is not too repulsive and no calories!

As far as beer goes, I don't drink a lot of beer so I am no expert but I have found Michelob Golden Draft Light to be a light beer with not the crappy watered down taste! That is my favorite. Delicous!
  • mistermog
    mistermog Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    mistermog,

I've always heard that Kansas City has some great BBQ. Is it true?

We live about an hour west of Chicago and we drive to Denver about once a year to visit family. We often have thought about taking a side trip to Kansas City for some BBQ. Is it worth it?

Absolutely! KC's style is all based on the sauce, particularly the sweeter sauce, as opposed to Texas that's more based on the dry rub.

The issue for visitors is trying to figure out which place to go. This is DEFINITELY a bbq town, so not only do you have a ton of extremely good restaurants, there are lots of people that just make up their own sauces and techniques for amature competitions.

Oklahoma Joe's and Gates are generally considered the best two in town. I like Zarda a lot as well. Arthur Bryan's is also popular, but they don't use a KC-style sauce, theirs is vinegar-based (like the KC Masterpiece you find in the store) and I'm not a fan.

Also, the big KC Masterpiece restaurant is of course here in town. But locals don't really go there. If you can manage to get Oklahoma Joe's and Gates into your trip, you won't be disappointed.
  • scloyd
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I congratulate you scloyd on giving up the soda's. I am an easy 2-3 cans of Coke per day guy myself and it has been a real struggle to not reach for one of those when I am thirsty.

It was tough in the beginning, especially when my wife would crack open a Coke and pour it into a glass with ice. I struggled with it for awhile and then all of a sudden it didn't bother me anymore.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink for flavor, so if I need to consume less calories, I just consume less beer. It's worth it for me. I would rather drink good water than bad beer, and I can be damn picky about my beer.
  • burkhale
    burkhale Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I usually drink vodka or whiskey at home (<100 cal / 1-1/2 oz.) with no calories soda but when I'm out, I drink Miller Lite because it has the highest alcohol content per calories (4.2% & 96 calories) I love Yuengling Light but it fills me quickly so I can't drink many...
  • cryptique
    cryptique Posts: 28
    Options
    I barely drink at all any more (it sort of lost its appeal for me when I became old enough to do it legally, and I never did enjoy being drunk) but I do still enjoy a good beer on occasion. I see no point in low-calorie, low-taste beer, so when I do drink one, it's one that I will enjoy thoroughly, and I stop at one and don't worry about the calories. I like the dark, chewy stuff ... something along the lines of a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (probably my favorite beer) or a Bell's Porter.

I also have a glass of red wine every so often (I'm particularly fond of Australian reds) and have been known to indulge in a mixed drink once in a while, but never more than one.