Biking Etiquette

Options
symegeer
symegeer Posts: 143 Member
Hello all!

So I'm two months away from my very first tri and I have some burning questions. I'm doing the road portion on a mountain bike (I can't afford a new bike this year but if end up loving this I might get one next year) so can't go out training with my club as they have a no mountain bikes rule for their group training rides. I have also never cycled on a road before as the roads around our house are tiny, windy, narrow and generally terrifying, while we have a lovely network of bike paths on which I don't have to risk my life. So my questions are:

1. Are there any additional skills that I will need to learn before the tri specific to using the roads? (in other words can I get away without training on roads before the race?), and
2. What is biking etiquette during the race? Should slower cyclists stick to one side, etc?

Any advice is appreciated!

:)

Replies

• Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    So, a few things came to mind when reading this:
    Mountain bike: On my first tri, I met a girl who did the olympic distance and finished 2nd in her age group and she had a crappy old bike she bought for ten dollars-especially for the shorter distances, you don't need a fancy bike (I am told).
    Also, I think training wherever works, but if you can get in a practice or two on the actual track that will be helpful.
    The rest, I dunno but I look forward to hearing what others have to say!
    Good luck!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I say, if you can train, you can race. I did my first tri on this beach cruiser type trail bike and I never rode on the road once. A few things to be aware of though:
    1) No matter what else, make sure you have a helmet. A good one!
    2) The better your bike handling skills the safer you'll be. Sounds obvious, but if you're not used to riding with cars zooming by you, it can be a little disconcerting when it happens. It's not uncommon for less road-warriory types of riders to wobble when cars go by. Be prepared for this mentally, if you're not training for it.
    3) Get yourself some wicking socks. You're going to have squishy feet, so for pete's sake leave the cotton socks at home. Pick up something that'll wick away the swim water, and dry quickly.
    4) Forget about every Lance Armstrong style badass there. Let them do their things, and you do yours. Almost all triathletes are tickled pink to see anybody and everybody show up on race day. But you still get those hard core racers with their $10,000 road rockets and their crazy aero helmets and body suits, and whatever. More power to them. They have their fun, make sure you have yours.
    5) Stay to the right, as you'll be passed on the left. If you pass, pass on the left. It's customary when riding to let somebody know you're going to pass them, but this doesn't necessarily apply to race day. If the person in front of you seems oblivious to you and isn't exactly staying to the right, it's worth your while to let him/her know you're passing. Otherwise, just do it. Just remember, stay right, pass left.

I hope this helps, and I wish you success and fun. Race days are wonderful, magical moments in time. Good luck with yours.

PS: I think it sucks out loud your group has a no mountain bikes rule. Shame on them! They should know better! Is this a tri club? If not, then I HIGHLY recommend you find a tri club. If it is, well, shame on them. They should know better.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Check out craigslist - or even your local bike shop for a cheap bike. Ask some of your neighbors if they have a bike you can borrow. I agree, you dont need a road rocket, but almost any type of road bike will make the bike portion of race so much better.
    Even an old 10speed will be a better than a mountain bike on anything more than 10miles.

x2 about everything that TriJoe said. The biggest one - stay to your right, if you do pass, pass on the left. Just give a little warning to the person you are passing "On your left" is fine, pass them get about 2-3 bike lengths past them and move over.

Don't be intimidated by the guys w/ the aero helmets and solid wheels that go by at 30+mph. Triathlons are a solo sport. It you against yourself. Go out there and have fun. Know that when you cross that finish line, you did it yourself. Be proud of what you just accomplished.
  • symegeer
    Options
    Thanks guys! Great advice. Yes, my club is a tri club, I think I've done them a disservice because they really are a fab group and I have since found out that they do a trail ride on the weekend that I could go to but the distance is a bit beyond me at the moment.

Two follow on questions though:

1. Is the 'stay on the right' rule applicable in the UK where we drive on the other side of the road?
    2. My race distance is super-sprint (yes, it's just a baby race but I'm starting cautiously!) so the bike portion is only 11K. What do you think rob_v? Will I get by with the mountain bike for this one?

I marshalled at our club's duathlon today and I feel like I have more of a handle on the whole transition thing, plus I now know the route so may have to pluck up my courage and ride it early one weekend with another newbie.!

Thanks for the great advice everyone! :)
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    In countries where you drive on the left you should stay left unless passing which you do on the right (just like you would if driving a car). Good luck and enjoy the tri! When is it?
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    11k is like 7 miles. Yea a MB is probably ok. But still may be worth asking around for one to borrow. As far the right/left rule in the UK, honestly not sure.
  • symegeer
    Options
    My tri is at the start of June. I have a couple of months to get my act together! Thanks for the advice guys.
  • ironholgs
    ironholgs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The passing rule doesn't really apply here in the UK. I've raced in the USA and it confused me at first, but I got used to it, never once heard it said over here though in a race.

But if you stay into the side it does make it easier for people to pass you, or if you are passing people just be aware of traffic, and the other rider swerving to avoid the potholes etc..

You could also try and get some slick ( ie: non mtb nobbly tires ) that will make your mountain bike faster. I've done sprints where people have had shopping baskets on the front of their bikes, so don't lose sleep over it.

Just go out and enjoy it, that's the key to your first triathlon.

Which one are you doing?
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Racing in Europe: ACK! I have no clue how that goes! Sorry for any disinformation I may have spread. A good learning moment for me. (*Know your audience!*)

Super sprinting: A race is a race is a race if you ask me. I've done everything from super sprints to iron distance, and they're all race days. GOD, I love race days!!! It's okay to be scared, especially when it's your first. But there's no need at all to be apologetic, or in any way feeling like your race is a beginner, or baby, or lesser type of race. It's still a race, and races are G-R-E-A-T!!! I say go, enjoy yourself, soak it all in, become one with the spirit of the day. It's race day, baby!!! YAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: There's a hierarchy of the types of bikes that are best for triathlon races. With that said, ultimately the BEST bike for race day is the best bike you have. If it's a mountain bike, then go have fun on it. I've also seen people racing with baskets on their bikes. A friend of mine, who does iron distance all the time, raced her first triathlon with a basket on her mountain bike. Her husband still shows that pic off.

I hope this helps. I think it's great you're asking questions, and figuring it all out, and going for it. You're amazing!
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I had a friend do the LiveSTRONG Challenge (45mi of HILLS) on a mountain bike. It took her more effort because the wheels have a smaller circumference than a typical road bike (or so I've been told), but she changed out the bumpy mountain bike tired for road slicks.

She was unapologetic and loved every minute of it! Her philosophy was... hey, I did the same distance as you and I burned more calories doing it!

Good luck!!
  • symegeer
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm very excited for it and I can see myself getting better all the time. I'm doing the Stirling Triathlon in, well, Stirling! :)
  • ironholgs
    ironholgs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Great stuff - a couple of people I know did it last year and they raved about it. Good luck and hope you can train this weekend without getting snowed in!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy at Ironman Louisville doing the race in a mountain bike with slick tires....You'll be fine.