Salad is not my friend...

Options
aldousmom
aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
Every time I eat salad or raw vegetables, I get the worst stomach pain EVER, for hours and hours, until I throw up! It's like the vegetables just sit in the un-digested making me miserable! And, it's not EVERY raw veg, I can eat celery, carrots, spinach just fine, but lettuce, kale, tomatoes, peppers, ...anything else, just make me miserable!! and, I can't eat avocado at all.

Any cooked veg is fine. Any. I can cook ANY of the veg I can't eat raw and they're fine.
*sigh*

Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor as this sounds like it could be a health problem.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Does this happen when you have 5 cherry tomatoes? Or when you eat an entire beefsteak tomato?

I'd think you just need to "ease into it" so to speak, but I'm not sure.

Do you have IBS or anything like that? A trip to the doctor to rule things out might not be amiss.
  • aldousmom
    Options
    just ordinary amounts, I think! last night I had 3c chopped butter lettuce, 4 heirloom cherry tomatoes, shredded carrot, a few olives, and a oil free dressing. The common denominator is the lettuce/tomato in my stomach pain. And, it's not all lettuce. I can eat romaine well enough, which is why I forget and eat salad w/ other lettuce. Plus I don't recall the last time I had butter lettuce....it was part of my co-op box. I can eat spinach salads with no problems.

And any of those things cooked is no problem, and I eat olives every day, so they play no part in these shenanigans. I was wondering maybe if I'm lacking a digestive enzyme or something. It's really awful.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hmm... that is odd only because I feel that butter lettuce is easier on my stomach! Ah, diferent strokes for different folks I suppose.

I think it is the tomatoes. Tomatoes are very acidic and I know a couple of people who choose not to eat them as they upset their stomach. Can you try your salads without them for a day or two and see how you feel?
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I agree with DG it is probably the acidicicy in tomatoes.
  • aldousmom
    Options
    I'll try the "no tomatoes" and see how that goes. thanks for the suggestion!. How harsh of me to blame the lettuce..ha ha! I will probably wait until later this week or next week before I try again. I have to let the memory of the pain become a little more distance. It's really horrible...one of those "cold sweat" kind of pains. and the vomiting is no picnic, ether.