Shiftwork

Options
ideliver
ideliver Posts: 114 Member
Hey folks,

I'm a resident, and, like many of you, find the 28 hour shifts and night shifts to be so hard to stay on track. What do you guys do to succeed?

The best things that work for me are crystal light, brown bagging my meals, and always using midnight as my cut off , anything I east afterwards counts for the next day.

Replies

• jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I just started as a nurse and I try to reverse my sleep schedule according to my 12 hours shifts. Right now it's 6 am and I'm ready to go to bed for my first shift of the week later tonight.

I'm looking for advice on how to handle shifts like this - I'm on a very busy floor and I'm in bed within 2 hours of getting home.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!
  • Jamidi
    Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I work in the cath lab and get called in frequently. It's hard to adjust but I try to have a cutoff as well. I also try to nap whenever possible but that's pretty much never!
  • FatNurseSlim
    Options
    Hi I am a nurse so fortunately I only suffer. 13 hour shifts not 28 ( ouch) but also have a hefty commute (one hour and 12 mins) so I usually end up being up and active for about 17 hours a day....

I swear by the 12 o clock cut off - and it's worked for me when changing from nights to days my writ loss hasn't altered
    D you have the facility to keep snacks/ supplies anywhere as a resident? I find drinking lots of water throughout the day and 1-2 cans of diet Pepsi help the hunger pangs but I keep healthy snacks everywhere! - I have cereal bars in my car, fruit in my bag, fruit in my locker !
    I don't know how often you get chance for a meal break as a resident? But I also go for the healthy options to fill me up - high protein, so although on a manic ward on my dinner I'm craving those canteen potatoe chips, I'll opt for my own home made quiche, or lean mince bolognese etc - something that will keep me full

Not sure what else to suggest really without experiencing a 28 hour shift!