Protein Snacks

Options
shander7
shander7 Posts: 613 Member
Hi everyone! I was wondering what you eat for high protein/ lower cal snacks?? I'm trying to up my calorie intake since it is almost always very low. I'm not a fan of tofu (I haven't been able to find one I like yet :(...) so any other ideas and recipes would be great!!

Replies

• tinkerbek
    tinkerbek Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do you eat dairy? How about a lo fat mozzerella cheese stick (like sargento makes) and a handfull of almonds? thats one of my favorite after workout snacks...

have you discovered the Quorn line of foods? simular to tofu, but with a much better texture. it's supposed to substitute chicken. high protein, low calories. :)
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    no one else has any???
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    1)Nuts are my quick go-to but of course are high in calories
    2)Hummus, other bean dip, or greek yogurt dip with veggies
    3)Cottage cheese is great if you eat dairy
    4)Keeping a cold quinoa salad (lots of great recipe variations out there) in the fridge can help
    5)luna bars

That's all I can think of for now...
  • holyguacamole
    holyguacamole Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Dried chick peas! There's a company called garbanzo that make different flavours - only 88cal per bag! Also almonds, flaxseed, peanuts, pistachios- yum!
  • holyguacamole
    holyguacamole Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also second the person who mentioned Quorn - yummy! Also the linda mc cartney brand is really good too.
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    protein shakes, chia seeds (soaked in water to create a gel), and hummus are all great protein-rich snacks.
    a three bean salad?
  • allybeee
    allybeee Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I struggle with this too, i am trying to add more protein to my diet but i find a lot of veggie protein has a lot of carbs in it too, hard to get a low carb high protein diet as a veggie :(
  • GalwayGal18
    Options
    I just hate tofu - it's a texture thing for me. I am big on the Green Smoothies with spinach or kale added (you really cannot taste it - for REAL). Here is a favorite one of mine. My kids eat it because they like putting things in the blender. Add different combos of fruit. I don't do yogurt but you could:
    http://joythebaker.com/2011/01/kale-spinach-and-pear-smoothie/

I also eat nuts - the calories are worth it for me because I also get that snacking/crunching thing going on. Baking chickpeas makes them really crunchy but I also eat a handful raw. Another great lunch is white beans mixed in with some cucumber slices, salt and pepper and drizzle a little olive oil. It's very filling.

Hummus is a go-to with veggies, nut butters - so, so many of them are delicious so don't limit yourself to just peanut butter, and lastly get some flaxseed - add it to savory or sweet muffins, your smoothies, breakfast cereal, your granola, etc.

Here are some other favorite snacky/treat recipes for me and my daughter:
    Banana cashew energy bites:
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/06/banana-cashew-balls.html
    Cinnamon Raisin Almond balls:
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1093441