Foam rolling bruises?!

Options
Bunnybeesweet
Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
Hi, I'm new to this group...just completing a recovery week after 5 weeks of phase 1. (and a year of several rounds of the original p90x)

I am covered with black and blue marks from that dumb foam roller! And no- Im not usually one to bruise easily! If I lesson the intensity I don't feel like its doing anything. And if I stay on a hotspot, I've never experienced anything "openning up" like tony says... just leaving me bruised :(

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You are bruising everywhere you use the roller? I use the rumble roller and haven't had this issue. Are you staying tensed up or pushing to apply pressure? I would recommend lots of deep breaths and use only your natrual body weight for pressure and not forcing it. I have had a lot of good luck with the roller.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Options
    Thanks for replying! Do you actually hit pause and spend more time on it like Tony recommends?
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If I am super sore in one spot I will stay there a little longer until it loosens up a bit and then will roll over that same spot a time or two. I don't use it a lot on my arms or chest because I have found it really difficult and not much benefit. I focus on my shoulders, back and legs. I also use it on the bottoms of my feet!
  • SAMSON25
    SAMSON25 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ^^Feet are a good addition - I'll have to give that a try!

I'm using the rumble roller also...once got a small bruise on my outer thigh/hip but I had really been applying a lot of pressure on it the day before but have had no problems otherwise. Really, rolling out has been a game-changer for me, the "loosest" I've felt in a long time. I've gotten good results from all the moves; working on my arms (triceps into my lats/chest/rear shoulder) has helped a bunch

I usually don't pause it, but rather try to focus on my worst spots for that day or focus on the part of the body that will be used the most in that day's workout (legs for plyo, upper body for chest days, etc).
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Options
    Ooooo, yes! My feet will love! And probably not bruise ;)

Thanks!
  • NavyWifeTwinMom
    NavyWifeTwinMom Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just curious if you bruise easily in general? I have not found bruising to be a problem with the rumble roller... I used to bruise much easier, but after getting a good multi-vitamin in daily I have found I don't bruise quite as much. Plus I'm sure my iron levels are higher with the higher amount of protein in my diet now.

Cheers!
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Options
    I've never considered myself an easily-bruised kind of person. I think what was happening was because I just have a very high tolerance for pain! And I was sitting on those hot spots with as much of my body weight as I could. I've backed off a bit...and not only am I not bruising (much) anymore, I am finding the foam rolling to be more effective. I think?! I'm doing it...but still not totally sold. I may eventually go back to good old stretching. It's always worked well for me.
  • Justin_Simmons
    Justin_Simmons Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have not found any bruising. Like you said I think you were applying to much pressure. I actually enjoy the foam rolling. I wish though it was at the end of the workout as a part of the cool down instead of the warm up. I think it works. One night I was very sore and foam rolled for about 10-15 minutes while watching tv and was not sore the next morning.