Oatmeal

Options
embclark
embclark Posts: 186 Member
Thoughts?

I was just tested positive for Celia's disease, but have been eating mostly gluten free since January after suspecting that i had an intolerance. So today I had Rey light meals because we were going out to eat for dinner... My lunch consisted of oatmeal with blueberries.

Dinner was burger and fries, no bun. These are normal foods for me.

Tonight I have had a bit of an upset stomachs, nothing too harsh but I have been in a bathroom more then usual. Question is, do you think it was the oatmeal or the French fries being fried where other glutinous food has been fried?

And hello! I am new here!

-emily

Replies

• lynneruth
    lynneruth Posts: 12
    Options
    You might also consider the hamburger, lots of the commercially made hamburgers, and all of the soy substitues are made with gluten added to hold them together. Its just a possiblity along with the others. I eat oatmeal all the time and have no trouble, but you have to become a real detective when reading the ingredient lists of foods you buy. I seldom eat out, partly because of the cost and I no longer drive a car to get somewhere, but also because you just can't be sure whats in the food they serve you.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Oats are normally gluten contaminated. Were they certified gluten free?
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The burger, fries and oatmeal can all be the sources of your problem. Burgers very often have gluten in them and fries can be contaminated by other items being fried in the same oil. Unless the oats is certified gluten free it certainly can contain gluten.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    They sell gluten free oatmeal at most health food stores. You can probably switch to that to test it out.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yeah, burgers, fries, and oats are all generally not safe. Whenever you go out to eat ask for a GF menu. I learned, the hard way, that even McDonald's GRILLED chicken has gluten in it. Always ask. Most places don't serve GF oats (Oats are glutenous so only buy certified GF oats) or fries (fries are often tossed in flour before being frozen). I always have a snack in my bag in case people want to go out.