Anybody finding relief of pain with massage?

Options
I am thinking about trying massage for this chronic back pain. I have gone to physical therapy, but that is not the same. Has anybody found relief this way? My shoulders hurt, my arms, hurt, but especially my lower back. I get such tightness there sometimes I have a hard time going from a sitting to standing position.

Thanks in advance for your input!!!! dee dee:flowerforyou:

Replies

• dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    oh yes, it helps tremendously. I have depression and fibromyalgia and am going through a bout with it as we speak. I have a massage appt this saturday. Cannot wait! I have been getting massages for years, not as often as I would like (would like one every day :) but as often as I can, usually every month or two.........and yes it helps. I hope you find what helps for you.:flowerforyou:
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Definitely helps and worth the money! Just be sure that you choose a massage therapist with experience dealing with a chronic back issue as there are many styles of massage and many massage techniques so you want to pick someone who will use the right methods on you. I also have Depression and Fibro would also get one every day if I could to help these conditions and my chronic shoulder pain. You'll be amazed at what a difference a good massage therapist can make in loosening up your tight places, relieving pain in your hurt places, and lifting your energy and morale. You'll even sleep better. Go for it!
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It is helpful for temporary pain relief. My shoulders especially get stiff and inflamed. One the knots are worked out, I can move them again. I also get emotional release and relaxation from it as well. I am lucky that one of my close friends is a massage therapist who is happy to help me out free of charge.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yes...definitely! But with one caveat....deep tissue massage will create more pain with FM but light massage seems to help a lot. A few years ago I was able to get massage every 2 weeks under my insurance and that was so helpful. Frequently, I will feel somewhat worse the next day but the day after I feel much better.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i found the deep tissue and trigger points made me feel cruddy for a day but then I was feeling awesome after.