walking - is it "really" exercise? :-)

Options
Hi all!
I am trying a new fitness project - just walking with my baby in the stroller for about an hour every day. I have tried jogging with a jogging stroller and the thing is, I just hate jogging. But with walking, I enjoy myself, I see the neighborhood, I get some air. However, I struggle with the feeling that this isn't REAL exercise, since I don't break a sweat. What do you guys think? Does walking count? Can it really help you get healthy and improve your health?
Thanks!
Jessica

Replies

• AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    I really think it IS exercise! :o) I walk the loop in my subdivision three times a week, and it is a 2.3 mile path. I also live in the foothills of the Ozarks, so it is very hilly, and quite challenging. I break a sweat, and by the time I am done, my legs are on fire! Where are you walking at? Can you find a more challenging path? Increase your pace or stride? Whatever you do...good luck!
  • Summerlove1993
    Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I really think it IS exercise! :o) I walk the loop in my subdivision three times a week, and it is a 2.3 mile path. I also live in the foothills of the Ozarks, so it is very hilly, and quite challenging. I break a sweat, and by the time I am done, my legs are on fire! Where are you walking at? Can you find a more challenging path? Increase your pace or stride? Whatever you do...good luck!

I agree 100% that walking is exercise. You are already pushing a stroller which adds to the workout. If you aren't breaking a sweat, you can walk faster or up an incline. An hour is fantastic. Give yourself more credit! (You can always add ankle weights as well.)

I miss pushing a stroller with a little cutie pie in it! My baby is 14.
  • RckstrMommy
    RckstrMommy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hi! I'm new to the group but saw your post.. I completely agree that it is exercise. It's tough as a mom with little ones to find exercises that you can do with your little ones. I end up walking, pushing my kids in the stroller most days, cleaning, or just dancing with them. We tried a gym membership but my kids hated it, felt like a waste of money.

I read an article about the "thinnest women in the world" and the observation was that they didn't "work out" instead, they just stayed active. I know when I lost 50 lbs in high school, the times I lost the most weight was simply staying really active and busy, I never "went to the gym" and didn't really get into running until I was thinner (it's hard to run when you are bigger).

So... anything that gets you moving and sweating is beneficial!
  • Jelio13
    Jelio13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes Absolutely! Walking has helped me, I am 11 lbs down in one month. I have bad knees so I can't run, so I enjoy a good brisk walk. You don't have to "break a sweat" to get your heart pumping. It works for me!
  • renee_sutter
    Options
    Walking gets your heart rate up if you keep a quick pace and allows you to do it longer than jogging. Try jamming to high pace music in one ear to keep your fast pace
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love to walk! But I won't run for anyone!!!

I think that anything you do that is more than your normal daily routine is good exercise!! So keep up the good work!! Be sure to measure so that you can truly track your losses!!

Blessings! <><
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I definetly think walking counts as an exercise. That is all I would do at first! And that 1st week I lost 9lbs. Hey I also changed from white to wheat. But at 1st I would just do the 1 mile Susan Samsone. Now I do more, but walking is definetly an exercise, and it's free!! And if it's outside it's fresh air!!
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've just started MFP and walking is the only exercise I have done! It seems to be working. I've decided to start off with walking then advance to something else.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    My mother lost 60 pounds last year and the only excercise she did was walking! The results speak for themselves! :wink:
  • Summerlove1993
    Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have found that my walking doesn't even need to be all at once. At the school where I teach, I park in the farthest parking space. Our main staircase is two floors, and I used to huff and puff on it. Now I take it as often as I can. Yesterday, I walked all over the school for a variety of reasons. I'm finding that these extra steps really make a difference.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes I do beieve that walking is good exercise! I just went to a senimar about walking and how it is what the body is made do to and that is is a great exercise! If you want to add to your burn then just add some weight, such as 2.5 lbs ankle weights or put extra weight in the bottom of the stroller. But i think you are doing great! Keep up the awesome work! Blessings!! <>< :wink: