Help with itching????

Options
Im flaring right now and the itching is so bad I cant even work out. What do you do for your itching????

Replies

• EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A cold shower works for me most of the time. I always had more itching on my hands and feet, and I found that icing those areas helped as well. What exactly is causing your itching? Dry skin? Liver or kidney problems? If it's skin, you can try olive oil, coconut oil or shea butter mixed with your usual lotion. You can also try changing your soaps. At times I'll use the Cetaphil cleanser, but most of the time I use the One With Nature soaps. They don't have any unnatural ingredients so help with dry skin and I don't end up with a weird film on my skin.
  • mountaingirl222
    Options
    Its not my organs, yet I dont have dry skin. Im not sure what exactly causes it and neither is my rheumatologist. I know my ana count is high right now and when I have a flare my skin itches. Ill try olive oil :smile:
  • KFOSTER1965
    KFOSTER1965 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the itching too and at times can drive you crazy. I use mineral oil before I get out of the shower and then just blot dry.
  • brishan
    brishan Posts: 2
    Options
    I use baby oil before I get out of the shower. The itching drives me crazy at times also. If it's really bad I take Benadryl.
  • dayroselynn28
    dayroselynn28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im itchy also = good to know im not the only one but I mix vaseline with aveeno lotion when I get out of the shower and I found thats helped the best and some sensitive areas I use baby oil without any scents and if the oil isnt enough I will put my lotion of top of it - the mixtures work much better than just plain lotion. Hope this might help someone.:)
  • thomasville_sr
    Options
    I am cut from Plaquenil 2x a day to 1x a day. About the same time I began cutting back my whole front neck are has been very itchy and warm. I have read this can be related to thyroid issues...Anyone else have this as related to thryoid issues? I have never been diagnosed with thyroid problems, but have several family members who do have thryoid problems and take medicine. Appreciate the tips on what to use to soothe skin, but I also can't stand the pinky rashy look my neck has, and that it doesn't feel good to have anything touching my skin. I've never had jewelry or soap reactions on my neck or elsewhere. I am really wondering if it is from inflammation of my thyroid...?
  • monkeymo_64
    monkeymo_64 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am glad someone posted about this. I was officially diagnosed with lupus about 6 months ago and had not ever connected it to my itching! My hips will start itching tremendously for a few weeks to a few months, to the point where I will inadvertently scratch them raw. It was totally puzzling as over the past few years I had tried wearing loose clothing, using extra moisturizer, changing my body soap and lotions, changing my laundry detergent- everything. Now I know to ask my doctor about it next time I see him. Thanks!
  • trblmakr23
    Options
    I think people tend to forget this too, but could be latex allergy too. Alot of things have latex in them..especially undergarments. It took me a longgggggggg time to realize that. And that's my major culprit of major itching now if it isn't kidney issues(usually have other symptoms too). Just a weird come and go latex allergy, which I thought it was weird, but many women with lupus that I have met actually have this issue too.
  • lovelylauralady
    lovelylauralady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I take benadryl and I also have a rash across my face and neck too, putting Ivy dry on that-i hope it gets better soon~