Hyposensitive Esophagus - What?!

vdegraff
vdegraff Posts: 87 Member
So I had an adjustment yesterday. Tech advises me after I questioned my lack of restrictions that I have a hypo-senstitive esophagus. Huh? So will the lapband not work for me? She gave me more of a fill yesterday to see if that will help. Certainly, too soon to tell, but I'm a little pessimistic. Doubting my decision about the band. Not really losing any weight. I keep hitting these stalls and it is driving me nuts. My calories are still low, but this is due to sheer will power. I could eat if I really, really wanted to.

Anyone out there who's esophagus is hypo-sensitive?

Replies

• TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    never heard of it. What exactly does she say that means?
  • AnotherAustinGirl
    AnotherAustinGirl Posts: 62 Member
    I'm a little late to this group and just saw this thread.

When I got the lapband it took NINE fills before I felt any restriction at all. I don't know how much was in each fill but they would only give me a fill once a month and I got very discouraged. I doubted my choice of the lapband as well. But on the ninth fill, I did start feeling restriction and had just a couple of fills after that. The dr said that everyone's stomach muscles are different and they never know how much it will take and they try to be conservative. My stomach muscles are apparently very flexible. At least something is on my body!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    YES! I have this problem too. It took me 6+ fills to feel anything, and I think now my band is up to like 11 out of a possible 12ml.

One thing to watch out for is that I have actually stretched out my esophagus because food was backing up in to it. I think that as I'm more conscious of feeling full and not eating so much, it will shrink, but I'm sure that doesn't help.

Hang in there with the band, it WILL work, just give it some time/patience.