Potlucks

Options
Satyrakk
Satyrakk Posts: 298 Member
Grrrrr- how do you handle all the church potlucks and dinners without overdoing it?

Replies

• patriciaannbibo
    patriciaannbibo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eat something before you go.So you don't feel so hungry.
  • niebbia
    niebbia Posts: 32
    Options
    I plan before...I make sure I take plenty of things I can eat and enjoy...lots of salads. I try to rmember I am there to socialize and have some spiritual nourishment...I am NOT there for the food. Food will always be around if I get a craving for something later, I will make it and have a small portion....At a potluck are we really there to eat as much as we can or to enjoy the fellowship?:flowerforyou:
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I bring something that I can eat - usually a grilled chicken salad with evoo and balsamic already on it. The hardest part for me was trying to convince myself that I did not have to have cake or pie or sweets - that was hard - and still is!
  • gibbysrose
    Options
    It is so hard with all the yummiest things there! I'm a newer member, and last year I kept asking my hubby why we talk about the word of wisdom but then it seems like the food events are so unhealthy. I felt so relieved when the RS had a challenge for the women this year to become better prepared "for such a time as this." The challenge included (among a few others) daily scripture reading, praying, noticing heavenly father's wonderful creations, exercising, and refusing a food temptation. Since then, I've noticed that we have had events where people are bringing healthy snacks (a girl's night out, with all the ladies, last week included trail mix, pretzels and hummus, etc) and some are even talking about exercising. It has been a wonderful challenge, as we have seen what areas need attention in each of our lives, and I'm so happy to see some of my beloved sister's work towards a more healthy lifestyle, both physically and spiritually.

When we go to a potluck, I always bring something healthy and make plenty so I know I can eat that. Even if I have to bring dessert, I bring fruit instead of cookies (I know there's going to be plenty of sweets!) and eat a piece and then share a bite of whatever my hubby gets.
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    I have always wondered too why LDS people are so strict about the "don'ts" of the Word of Wisdom but almost ignore the "do's". The "do's" are there for a reason. The Lord expects us to take care of our bodies and we will be held accountable for it. Potlucks are one example of how crazy food is in the LDS tradition. I been to many a potluck where there is no fruit or vegetable to be found. Amazing. I suppose it depends on who is responsible for the menu and fruit and vegetables take more time to prep. Fruit can also be much more expensive in large quantities.

My strategy for potlucks is to plan how much I am going to eat rather than what I will eat since I do not know ahead of time what there will be. I try to plan my meals and I usually fill in MFP in the morning and then make adjustments during the day to record what I actually ate. With potlucks, I can't plan anything except the quantity. For example, I can plan on one plate of food and one small dessert. If I stick to that planning, it really works for me.

Another strategy is talking. I am a person who is either very, very quiet or I talk your ear off. At potlucks, I like to be the talker while everyone else eats. Or at least I try to keep the conversation going by asking the person across from me questions about themselves.

Potlucks are such a challenge!