Missing my baby

Options
PunkyRachel
PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
I know it was bound to happen eventually, but my cat Midnight just died a few days ago. She died of old age at 17. I miss her, and I know she's a cat, but she was also my child, especially since I can't have kids. I just can't get used to not seeing her everyday, I'm not sure if I can ever replace her. I'm just so depressed, I try to keep my mind busy, working, reading a book, etc. but each day gets worst. I've skipped exercise the past few days and been over count, but not by much. I need help getting out of this rut I'm in.
:cry: :frown: :sad:

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I cant offer much in the way of help. Time really is the only healer here.

I lost my 16 year old cat Puss (very original I know) to old age 9 years ago and vowed not to have another one as I was so upset but ...here i am today with 5 of them plus 2 more regular visitors. But I still think of Puss often...more with fondness than sadness these days tho
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for the loss your cat... Losing a beloved pet is never easy. Just give yourself time to heal... You are right you won't ever be able to replace Midnight, but in time you will be able to bring in a new cat into your life. The cat will not replace Midnight because she will forever hold a special place in your heart and memories. I don't see new pets are replacing old ones, but rather moving on and sharing your life and making new memories with a pet who will love you unconditionally. Just take it one day at a time!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Thank-you. It's just gonna get some getting used too, I had her for 17 years, she's always been there for me and I just miss her. I live in a house with 5 other people, altogether there was 9 cats (8 now) but Midnight was the only one that was mine. The other eight yea, I'll pet them or play with them, but they belong to my roommates, not me. It's just not the same. Yes I'm still a bit gloomy, it's only been 5 days, but I made myself walk today, and I stayed under count! I feel good about that, at least :)
  • donnacorine
    Options
    I lost my special boy Tuxedo cat Pablo one week ago. It is so hard not having him. I understand your grief. Eventually you will invite another cat into your life. They all hold special places in our hearts. I will never forget my sweet boy.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I know it was bound to happen eventually, but my cat Midnight just died a few days ago. She died of old age at 17. I miss her, and I know she's a cat, but she was also my child, especially since I can't have kids. I just can't get used to not seeing her everyday, I'm not sure if I can ever replace her. I'm just so depressed, I try to keep my mind busy, working, reading a book, etc. but each day gets worst. I've skipped exercise the past few days and been over count, but not by much. I need help getting out of this rut I'm in.
    :cry: :frown: :sad:

Oh my gosh, my sweet dear.... I'm so sorry for your loss. You know I can relate to your sadness. My 17 year old Sophie went to cat heaven Nov of 2008. She was my child. No human children here either. I think they are keeping eachother company, until we get there with them. Hopefully my Dad is giving them treats. I wish there was something I could do that would make it easier for you.. Time was the only thing that helped me. I now have two Poms. Dogs actually. Is there a cat rescue or the SPCA you could go and just visit whos there. Maybe they would cheer you up over there. Sending a hug.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. You will never replace your baby, but maybe some day you can find room in your heart for another. :heart:
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I can sooo relate. I hope you are feeling some better now. I have lost the last of my Loooong time loyal babies this week. In 2009 I lost my faithful horse "ReyJay" 28 yrs old, then 7 months later my Lab "Heidi" 15 yrs and this week my lab mix "Remington" 12 yrs. I don't know how people that lose human "babies" can go on. My heart aches sooo much. I can relate to the not having human children, but I feel that pets really fill that spot is a special way.
    My condolences to you. Know that you are not alone in your heart break. -from one pet "mom" to another
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine not having my Simon. I know that day will come, he is 10. But He is the love of my life. He is my child. I don't have children either, and my sun rises and sets on him. I can't imagine the emptiness that you feel now, however, time heals all wounds, and you will always have memories.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i am so sorry for your loss, losing a furbaby is never easy. i have found for me personally adopting a new baby has always helped me heal the best because it took my mind off of my loss and gave me a new reason to smile. our babies can never be replaced but sometimes sharing your love with others helps the grieving and healing process tremendously...and sometimes you find your old friends come back through to visit periodically in the actions of your new babies.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    WAAAH!!! That's soo sad! Who cares if it's a cat? I know plenty of cat haters out there that can't understand why we love them like we do. But you know what? That doesn't change the fact that you miss your baby. Mine is almost 12 and I hate to think when Midas has to take leave of this planet.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. :sad:
    As a cat parent myself I completely understand.
  • missrat
    missrat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. She wasn't 'just a cat' - she was your special girl. For those of us without children, the loss of a pet is even more painful - I'm struggling at the moment.

However, although they are no longer with us, they have left their pawprints on our hearts for ever. I'm hoping this link will reproduce at a size which you can read.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e80/AnnSC/Hamsters and ratties/Paw-prints-general_360x480.jpg

Thinking of you
    Ann