protien?

Options
joelleh26
joelleh26 Posts: 74 Member
I keep reading alot about people taking protien powder/shakes etc....
Any one know what does it actually do? and what are the benefits? any good ones etc...

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Your body (is supposed to) know when it's hungry by how much protein you have left - so more protein in theory = stay feeling full for longer. Also, your body needs protein to build muscle - if your body building you need to boost your protein levels substantially.

First off, this is a very individual thing as most of don't eat because we're hungry! And different bodies click in the hunger feeling at different levels.

Secondly, fake protein doesn't have any of the other nutrients you need (well, some have added vitamins etc) - unless you are trying to bulk up, IMO you are probably better off getting your protein from real food.

But I'm always dubious about taking supplements of any kind. We are lucky enough in the first world of the 21st Century that we have a plentiful supply of good food all year, every year. We should feed our bodies with what they actually need rather than feeding the corporations more money for questionable chemicals that we don't need......
  • DoodleDaft
    Options
    I've been drinking protein powders to help me meet my requirements (I'm looking for 30% protein a day). Whey protein powder is a milk protein, I use it in smoothies and shakes.
  • youknome
    youknome Posts: 63
    Options
    In order to hit my macros, I consume protein shakes as I can't seem to get it in my actual food all the time. Currently I'm drinking PHD Diet Whey which is amazing, tastes great yet has the nutrition which helps me feel fuller for longer.
  • OvOv
    OvOv Posts: 50
    Options
    I keep reading alot about people taking protien powder/shakes etc....
    Any one know what does it actually do? and what are the benefits? any good ones etc...

It's quite popular on the bodybuilding scene. Generally...when you work out your muscles tear, and protein and amino acids are the best thing for rebuilding the muscle and/or helping it grow.

A lot of the protein powders you can buy these days are rich with amino acids, or have a higher carb content to make it more of a meal replacement (which is obviously very convenient!).

Also, there are some studies that suggest a higher intake of whey protein reduce the chances of cancer...make of that what you will...
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use a protein drink after a long or hard exercise session, specifically to aid the recovery of my muscles. I use Science in Sport products (in this case Strawberry flavoured Rego Recovery) as they work best for me.

As already mentioned you can also use it as a meal supplement / substitute to feel full and keep calories down but I've no experience of that so can't really comment.
  • bitesize786
    Options
    you know, everyone is right about this.

protien is mainly for excersize, but if you dont excersize and plan to replace food with protien, i wouldnt advice it. your body needs more nutrients and minerals.

but if you excersize even though your metabolism will raise but it will be harder to lose weight as muscle weighs more than fat.

i excersize and cycle so i try to make a balance. i take alot of protien.

i use the one from dymatize, not sure if anyone has heard of it. it is the same one that brock lesnar uses :p