Getting to know you!!

Options
So, a lot of posts on here are about relationship advice, which is awesome, but I want more!!

I truly believe that everyone has a bit of a nerdy side, in that we all have something that totally interests us other than partying, dating, sex, etc. (although all of those are quite nice :bigsmile: )

So, what I propose is that we each tell everyone something about what interests us and post a link to an example or a bit of information about our particular interest.

For example: Yes, I sing opera, but I really love choral music and would love to get an advanced degree in choral conducting at some point.

Here's a link to one of the more famous choral ensembles (I also happen to love this piece, it's incredible!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXhAz0DOpMU

Can't wait to hear from the rest of you!!! :heart:

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Well if you couldn't tell. I love baseball well I love sports in general. As long as I know the rules or someone is able to explain them to me I will enjoy most sports. I also love to play them, since I am very competitive.

This usually gets me the "I don't know why you are single" when I tell people but most guys I guess don't like girls that know more about sports then they do.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Party pooper!!! :grumble: Just kidding.. you're NOT a party pooper. This I know for sure. :wink:

Wellllllll I don't know if it's nerdy but I go into a crack like high when I decorate cakes. I do it as a hobby and really enjoy it. It's therapeutic.

Here's my favorite one that I've made thus far:

Story is this is an inside joke because my dad has always loved UFO things and a while back I took my dad to watch "Battle L.A", which he HATED. He said it was "too much bullets" and that it wouldn't happen like that if there were aliens attacking. (my dad has a sweet accent and doesn't say "many", he says "much".) Everytime we talk on the phone he asks me if I've seen the dumb movie again and cracks jokes about it. He loved loved loved his cake and said he didn't want to cut it.

alien.jpg
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options

alien.jpg

OMG I love the cake and back story.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    That cake looks scrumptious! Amazing talent!
    A woman that loves sports...........YES please!
    For me.....what do I enjoy......hmmmmmm......thinking......thinking......thinking.....
    love sports....love family.....ummmmm.......i just realized I'm boring! so sad....:noway:
    I'll come back when I can think of something!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Ok so the thing that makes me giggle and bounce around like I'm 3 is ..... a good martial arts movie. I truely love action movies and good martial arts movies are hard to find. I'm also a huge reader lol with the ability to block out anything around me
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good kung fu flick (even if I have to read subtitles netflix here i came thanks ) I also enjoy a good anime
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I don't hide my nerdiness. I like all sorts of things. Computers, books, video games ( especially RPGs ), I have a unique taste in music, and I like to challenge myself whenever I can by learning new things, etc. Now I'm not even sure which I should post an example of... Hmm. Perhaps my favorite RPGs: Final Fantasy 7, Arc the Lad II, Star Ocean: 2nd Story, Tales of Symphonia, Final Fantasy Tactics, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, etc. Among many others.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
  • La_Amazona
    Options

You're so nerdy! :flowerforyou: :love:

Have you seen this? This is now my fav baby video. Makes my ovaries quiver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7_0SOTQLIQ
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I am pretty nerdy too. I love reading, I'm a Hunger Games addict, I could debate different subjects all day, and I love hockey (go Hawks!)!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm a big sports fan, too. I've always loved baseball because I grew up around it. My brother was a really good pitcher, so he played year-round, and his games were family events. When I was 7, I had my own scorebook, and I kept a legit scorecard for each game. How's that for nerdy? I'm a big college football fan, too.

I'm really into history and government. The American and French Revolutions are of particular interest, as is American foreign policy from WWI through the fall of the Soviet Union. I have a pretty interesting collection of books. My mom likes to joke that a cursory review of the contents of my bookshelves would tell a stranger most of what he/she needs to know about me.

I also love to cook and, especially, to bake. It's my primary creative outlet.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Well if you couldn't tell. I love baseball well I love sports in general. As long as I know the rules or someone is able to explain them to me I will enjoy most sports. I also love to play them, since I am very competitive.

This usually gets me the "I don't know why you are single" when I tell people but most guys I guess don't like girls that know more about sports then they do.

So true. Guys like a woman who will passively watch games with them.

Women don't find guys into handbags and heels attractive either. So it cuts both ways.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    I like tennis and play it regularly. Sometimes I even log it.
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options

Women don't find guys into handbags and heels attractive either. So it cuts both ways.

I think why I like baseball the best is because it's so statisical. Everything comes down to numbers. Just look at Moneyball.
  • DMZ_1
    Options

I think why I like baseball the best is because it's so statisical. Everything comes down to numbers. Just look at Moneyball.

Baseball is rather statistical. So is basketball, but I think baseball is more suited to stats than basketball. In basketball, team cohesiveness matters more and is harder to measure than baseball, an individual sport played in a team setting. The essence of baseball is one on one, batter vs pitcher, whereas basketball is always 5 on 5.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    As others I am big into sports, mostly team sports not named basketball. Especially love the Bruins, NCAA Hockey (Go Dutchmen!), Red Sox and US Men's National Soccer and Hockey teams. Though I did see the Women's soccer team in the World Cup Final last year in Frankfurt.

I've got the nerd thing going as well. Into computers, and gaming but only on the PC. Haven't owned a console since the original Nintendo in the late 80's. Love history, almost any era and place, but lately have been back to Renaissance and Colonial Europe. I can not walk by a map without looking at it. Love documentaries, it doesn't even matter what they are about so long as they aren't biased. And I am an engineer by trade, so I love building things and taking things apart just to see how they're assembled.

Movie wise, I go more for comedies and dramas, especially crime dramas.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm into cars! My dad races classic cars in Mexico and the states. He recently got into LeMons (not LeMans) racing. 24 hour endurance races for "$500" cars. Those are my favorites. We won our last race in a 1965 Barracuda.

Martial arts movies are great, anime, anything Tarentino or Smith. Not into sports so much, but I don't mind watching or going to games, I know the basic rules, but that's about it. Going to a baseball/football game is more fun than just watching it.

Travelling with my dad has been my past time lately, and when I'm not wandering around a new place I'm totally addicted to MFP, and can stay holed up in my hotel room for hours... Now though, I make a point to spend an hour in the fitness center... :P

I guess I'm pretty boring too. Oh well.
  • kkjay
    kkjay Posts: 62
    Options
    That cake is awesome!

I love to write short stories. It's sort of a therapy for me and I get totally immersed in my writing. My longest story is a bit over 200 pages. Also anything Ancient Egyptian related grabs my attention. I could watch national geographic specials on it all day.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments on my cake everybody!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Being outside and gardening is in my blood. Unfortunately I live in a condo with no outdoor space, so to get my hands dirty, I volunteer at a local farm in exchange for free vegetables. I absolutely love the peace and quiet of being on the farm and planting, weeding and harvesting. Someday I want a huge back yard so I can plant my own garden. But, I've killed every house plant I've ever owned, lol.

And yes, the cake is awesome!