What's your Strength Training Program while going long?

Options
2»

Replies

• DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Follow-up question-

How many sets/ reps are you all doing? I've read in numerous places that powerlifting and bodybuilding-type routines are actually counterproductive to endurance running, and that we should be doing higher rep/ lower weight routines.

Your thoughts?

Power muscle burn 4 day split.

Main 4 sets of 5 at heaviest
    Accessory 3 sets of 12 at reasonable weight
    Accessory 3 sets of 12 at reasonable weight]
    Burn 2 sets of 40 at very low weight.

Alternating muscle groups for each day

Yea, you guessed it, Leg days are NASTY and have to be done mid-week and away from the long run.
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity video on my Monday no run day because its a killer overall strength and cardio system. I run Tue, Wed, Thur and I do the much easier Jillian Micheals 30 day shred on Fridays, the day before my long run. Other than that I only hit the weight machines at the gym if the weather forces me inside. I will then do treadmill and weights simply because I am in the presence of weight machines.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing (Tae bo) and Tai Chi. You have no idea the amazing benifits of Tai Chi in relation to running. :heart:
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity video on my Monday no run day because its a killer overall strength and cardio system. I run Tue, Wed, Thur and I do the much easier Jillian Micheals 30 day shred on Fridays, the day before my long run. Other than that I only hit the weight machines at the gym if the weather forces me inside. I will then do treadmill and weights simply because I am in the presence of weight machines.

Very smart way to workout. My group training is hard on Mondays, light on Thursdays for that reason...to not interfere with races and long runs.