Newbie to Geocaching!

Options
Ready2Rock206
Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
Okay I'm going to try this out today! If the weather clears up our plan was to go hiking on the trail behind our house. So last night I looked up geocaching and even if it's not nice there is one just right outside our development so no excuses not to try it!

I only have my cell phone GPS - if we like this any recommendations on a real handheld GPS unit? I got my eye on this one: http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-eXplorist-GC-Waterproof-Geocaching/dp/B003CYKYVQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2HESVHZO4FPL7&colid=1P0UH7OSNYQCC - The Magellan eXplorist...

Any helpful tips we should know?

Replies

• Sequoia_2
    Sequoia_2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We have the Magellan eXplorist GC and we like it quite well. We also us a Magellan Meridian Gold. Not sure if they still sell those or not. A lot of cachers like the Garmins too. You can find Geocaching groups that are local to you. All states have at least one "organization". Cachers get together and have meetings and events, you can learn a lot there also.
  • Strivn2day_4aBtrTmrow
    Options
    Okay I'm going to try this out today! If the weather clears up our plan was to go hiking on the trail behind our house. So last night I looked up geocaching and even if it's not nice there is one just right outside our development so no excuses not to try it!

I only have my cell phone GPS - if we like this any recommendations on a real handheld GPS unit? I got my eye on this one: http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-eXplorist-GC-Waterproof-Geocaching/dp/B003CYKYVQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2HESVHZO4FPL7&colid=1P0UH7OSNYQCC - The Magellan eXplorist...

Any helpful tips we should know?

ENJOY THE ADVENTURE and take a buddy. My boyfriend seems to have a gift when it comes to spotting these things lol without having him along I would've given u on the sport long ago. Also save the map offline if ur going somewhere where the signal is iffy... nothing worse than arriving at your start point to find that you have no destination because of signal loss.
  • Jffok
    Jffok Posts: 15
    Options
    I have a Garmin Oregon and it is a pretty simple gps. I would suggest that you find a few geocaches close to where you live and see if you are going to like it before you invest in a gps. Since you have your I phone and you can find some with it. Oh and welcome to geocaching. I have been enjoying it since Oct. 2008 and wish I had started in 2000 when it was brand new.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Great way to get moving!!! I enjoy caching with my 12 year old son. My husband is disabled and he enjoys those that he can too! Welcome!