Protein Powders

Options
Uneeknitter
Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
Ugh...my least favorite topic. So may of them have fillers and extra stuff in them that isn't necessary. Plus they use anti-caking agents, etc.

I love my liquid egg-whites for making protein drinks and smoothies, but sometimes I need a powdered form to just add water when I am on the go. What to do?

After trying many different variations, I think I found something that works well and tastes great!

1 serving of egg white powder - 75 cal 1g carb 0g fat 16g protein
1 serving of nonfat dry milk - 80 cal 12g carb 0g fat 8g protein
1 serving of Truvia -

I have tried various flavorings such as cinnamon (tastes like horchacha), cardamon (with cinnamon it tastes like chai), and chocolate (1 tbsp cocoa powder is 21 cal 2 carbs 1 fat 1 protein)

Have you tried making your own protein powder? If you have one you like, please let me know!

Replies

• footballmom68
    footballmom68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to lure you back Michelle!

I really enjoyed sampling your protein powders -- I especially liked the chocolate one. :)

alas, I'm not so handy or good at planning (gee, would you think so?), so I end up just buying the pre-made stuff. Mostly from max muscle -- I like the banana creme flavor.

Hope camping was fun!
  • FoCoFitnessFun
    Options
    I have been sampling vegan protein powders over the last few weeks. I am not vegan but I am following a mostly plant based diet. I also want to be consider my budget. Right now I like RAW Protein from Garden of Life. I like the taste and it keeps me full into the late morning.
  • BrandiNauta
    BrandiNauta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Trutein is great if you are willing to order protein online. It is a mild flavor and it mixes well. It has a blend of different kinds of protein so it it pretty versatile as a base for a meal replacement and also a post workout shake!
  • Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hadn't heard of Trutein. Where do you buy it at?
  • BrandiNauta
    BrandiNauta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sorry I didn't get any notification you responded!

You can only buy it online http://www.truscience.com/trutein.html

It is well worth the hassle!
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love protein smoothies and get very creative, however you touch on some of my concerns about all the additives in the commercial pro powder/drinks.

Thanks for mentioning egg whit powder, it never crossed my mind ;)

I don't get enough veggies in my diet, so I add veggie powder to boast my smoothies nutrition. I am not very knowledgeable about the different veggie powders. What I did is bought the a bunch of the single packages to narrow it down. Since I am not a cook veg person I tend to like the less green veggie ones.

I use Green Super Food berry and chocolate flavors by amazing grass. I add it to my smoothies and protein shakes. Also, I add it to ricotta plus nectresse to make a nice low carb snack. (I follow a low carb life style :)

Again..thanks, Kim

1 serving of egg white powder - 75 cal 1g carb 0g fat 16g protein
    1 serving of nonfat dry milk - 80 cal 12g carb 0g fat 8g protein
    1 serving of Truvia -

I have tried various flavorings such as cinnamon (tastes like horchacha), cardamon (with cinnamon it tastes like chai), and chocolate (1 tbsp cocoa powder is 21 cal 2 carbs 1 fat 1 protein)

Have you tried making your own protein powder? If you have one you like, please let me know!
  • bebopsbo
    bebopsbo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whats everyones thought on Muscle Milk? Being a guy I find it is working for me and keeps me full up to 5 hours after my work outs.