Introductions

Options
124»

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Not only does Jamie's program take too long, it's not as effective. Beginners don't need all that isolation work. You can build several muscles at one with the big Strong Lifts program. SL only took me 20 minutes at first. Now that I'm further and take longer breaks it takes about 40-45.

I'm probably NEVER going to do all that isolation work. Too lazy. A few compound movements, a few assistance lifts, then go home and kill necromancers in Diablo 3.

The program I did during my bulk had some isolation moves. The compound moves followed by isolation, but it was also a upper/lower split so still never took longer than 45 minutes.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Not only does Jamie's program take too long, it's not as effective. Beginners don't need all that isolation work. You can build several muscles at one with the big Strong Lifts program. SL only took me 20 minutes at first. Now that I'm further and take longer breaks it takes about 40-45.

I'm probably NEVER going to do all that isolation work. Too lazy. A few compound movements, a few assistance lifts, then go home and kill necromancers in Diablo 3.

The program I did during my bulk had some isolation moves. The compound moves followed by isolation, but it was also a upper/lower split so still never took longer than 45 minutes.

45 minutes how many days a week? I don't know what I want to do for progression but I do know I want to work on weighted chinups (well you know, regular chin ups. Then weighted).
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Hi, Pam, 40 years old and joining the SL 5x 5 group. Starting it next week.

Background is crossfit, which is still my first love. My box cancelled the morning class I was going to and I'm finding it hard to make other classes. I've been working out in my home gym for a month now, doing WOD's from the Crossfit main site. But now I'm looking for a program that will help me build back/lat/shoulder strength.

I read the sticky thread and saw that you would recommend 50% of your 5xRM, which makes sense for deadlifts and squats. I felt 45# was a little too low to start, but perfect for my weakness (bench and strict press).

I guess the only other lift that I think will be a challenge is the row. I've tried it before (although not a lift we see in CF, we do power cleans instead, but I really need to work on my back strength since I'm 2 years crossfitting and still not able to do 1 pull up, and my push ups suck balls.)

Any other advice on starting is more than welcome!
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am so excited to join this group and get started. I considered myself an athlete most of my life until about 20 years ago. A desk job and buying into the whole girls that don’t want to bulk should do low weight, lots of reps, and lots of cardio mentality have gotten me to where I am today, duhhhhh along with lots of good groceries I mean. With the great info Tameko and the rest of your group have shared, I am prepared to get back to what suits me and my schedule better. I will never have the body of a ballerina nor should I try but I am sick to death of my muscle continuing to turn to jelly. Thanks to some heavy kettlebell work I have been gaining some strength back but I have a long way to go. I have the equipment necessary to at least start and did some practice today. I had some crepitance in my knee and though it was only noisy and didn’t hurt at all I am headed to HD to get some wall mirror so I can key in on form. My plan (since I travel part of the week) is Sun., Tue. & Fri.

Kathy