Introduction/s

Options
Hey! I'm Giulia. (That may or may not be my real name. My real name may or may not actually be spelled with a J. Regardless...) I'm a Nerdfighter and I'm super thrilled to find a Nerdfighter group on here.

What are your names and areas of expertise? (I mean, nerd-pertise, of course.)

I'm a Whovian and a Sherlockian. I love literature and (most importantly) literary analysis.

So that's me. Who are you?

Replies

• alandistro
    Options
    Doesn't seem to be much action on the Nerdfighteria boards. But "hi". I'm Alan. I co-own DFTBA Records. I'm a music and movie nerd. And I love pasta. I've lost quite a bit of weight up to this point, but, I still don't consider myself at a healthy weight yet. So the mission continues. I'm on a 1800 calorie restriction diet with 5-6 days/week or workout. It seems to be going okay. =)
  • bombsfadeaway
    bombsfadeaway Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all. I'm Kristen, Alan's girlfriend and warehouse manager of DFTBA Records. I've also lost quite a bit already, but still have a ways to go before I feel like I'm done.

I'm currently attempting "calorie cycling", where I vary my calories each day (ie 1200 one day, 1800 the next, 1500 after that), along with various workouts 6 days a week. I've been stuck on a plateau for what seems like FOREVER. Bah.

Hope to see some more Nerdfighters active and getting healthy =)
  • magicae
    magicae Posts: 19
    Options
    My name is Amanda! I love languages and at the moment I'm pretty hooked in Cultural History, which is lucky for me as that is one of my classes this semester. Other than that I am a Hufflepuff, Whovian, Sherlockian, Gleek, Whedonite... And a whole bunch of other labels probably apply to me. (don't they always?)

I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I desperately need to get back in shape. I was getting there a year back but then my depression got worse and I couldn't really bother. But now I am getting back on track with the help of yoga and the 'Couch to 5K' running program. I actually did my second day of that just a few hours ago and this time I made it all the way through before I collapsed, instead of mid-way like in my last attempt.

It's nice to see other Nerdfighters here, even though it's pretty quiet on these boards.
  • Smilepea13
    Smilepea13 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I'm Victoria, and I'm trying to loose the 3 stone I've gained whilst at uni and trying to improve my fitness to help my asthma.

I'm taking time out of studying astrophysics because I've been unwell and running and eating well are also helping me get better!

I'm generally trying to have about 1500 calories (this sometimes goes out the window, like last night when I went to a chapel discussion group where we are provided with LOTS of cheese fruit and booze...) and do some for of exercise each day (mainly running 5km, but also plying frisbee/basketball/football).
  • mandyann53
    mandyann53 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I'm Mandy.
    I'm a Potterhead, Whovian, sherlockian, Book nerd, and science geek.
    I'm really happy that there's a nerdfighter group!
    I'm not that far off of my goal right now, only nine more pounds to go! I try to stick to 1200 calories, and at the very least do some walking around every day.
    DFTBA =]
  • bluekindofmusic
    bluekindofmusic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Catherine. I'm a Sherlockian, a Whovian, and a Ravenclaw. I also really love Jekyll, Game of Thrones, Being Human, and The Hunger Games. I'm a big fan of all things space and I stan NASA really hard. I'm studying Family and Child Sciences and Women's Studies in university and I'm particularly interested in human sexuality and women's/LGBTQ+ rights and health. I have a deep need to learn everything I can and often lose myself clicking from article to article on Wikipedia...

Less nerdy, I sing, too. I did choir through middle and high school and I record a lot, sometimes alone and sometimes with my boyfriend.

I've got over 100 pounds left to lose. I got blood work done for the first time recently and found out my cholesterol is sky high and I'm prediabetic. Definitely need to change these things while I still can. I'm struggling with an eating disorder I've had for over eight years which makes it all pretty difficult, but I have a treatment team (finally!) keeping an eye on me and making sure I do this healthily. The weight loss will be absolutely amazing, but mostly, I just look forward to feeling better.

DFTBA :)
  • PartTimeSarah
    PartTimeSarah Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it's taken me so long to think to search for nerdfighters on this site. Silly me! WE ARE EVERYWHERE!!!

My name's Sarah, My nerdfighter claim to fame is that I designed the Swoodilypoopers crest that's on hankgames and the t-shirts. I did it on a whim and John @replied me on twitter, next thing I know... T-SHIRT! I make youtube vids and daily vlogs (PartTimeSarah and goaliegal31 respectively), and vlog everything I eat! Nerdiness fields of expertise: All things British, theatre, comedy, gaming, playing guitar (poorly), I play ice hockey (when I can... believe it or not, I'm a goalie! I know... shocker, right?).

I have this summer to get in shape for the next HUGE step in my life, getting my PhD in Drama (writing about standup comedy) from the University of Kent in Canterbury, England. I have been on this site for years (and will continue logging in England) and love it when I make new friends on here, so FRIEND AWAY!!!!

Nerd love!

Sarah
  • VestaDear
    Options
    Hi guys! I cannot share my real name, because it is too obscure to share on the internet. I love literature, it is my favorite thing in the entire world. I took a pre-1850'sish survey of literature class and it was my absolute favorite class I had ever taken at my college. My favorite authors are Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Joey Comeau and a few others. My absolute favorite show is Firefly, but right now I'm loving me some Community.

I've been overweight my entire life and I would like to give not being overweight a try. I have about 44 lbs to lose to achieve this goal. I am an avid cyclist and this summer I've been riding 20+ miles 4 days a week for my commute to work instead of taking public transit and riding roughly 7 miles.
  • sperocras
    sperocras Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm one of those quiet nerfighters who #rarelycomments. I'm generally considered a little odd by the people I work with, but I'm okay with that. I used to describe myself in the hybrid house John created: Ravenpuff. But Pottermore's sorting hat put me in Ravenclaw, so I'm going with that. Also, I love that I'm member number 42 to this group. I fit in a lot of different boxes that I won't go into details about at this point, but I wanted to wave and say hello in case any of you lovely people are still around.
    [waves]
    Hello.
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    My name is Sarah. I was first introduced to John Green over the summer. I was working at a summer camp and ran out of things to read and found LFA for my kindle. I feel as though I have quickly caught up. I read, knit, and sew. I am part of a group of historical re-enactors, which takes up a lot of my time.
  • toothwalker_
    toothwalker_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my name is Kim, and I'm really happy to see a Nerdfighter group here- knowing that other nerds are striving to be healthy is encouragement!

I'm 24 and a grad student in Germany, though I'm originally from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I'm doing my Masters degree over here, and while meine Deutsche ist sehr schlect, it's getting better (I hope). I'm a biologist by degree, but I minored in English. This means I straddled the sciences and arts. My nerdities include biology, ecology (my Masters will be in Ecology), zoology, and sustainability, as well as literature. I'm also a DnDer, a feminist, and the usual smattering of fandom: Harry Potter, Supernatural, Sherlock, Firefly, etc. etc. I'll stop there.

I'm taking this semester break to hardwire healthier eating and exercise into my life, get rid of the crap food, and hopefully start losing weight so that when classes resume, it won't be that difficult to maintain. While I'm an advocate of HAES, I need to be healthy, first and foremost, and my current weight is not healthy.

Anywho, that's me.

Best wishes!
  • justoneanna
    Options
    Hey all - I'm Anna! I also can't believe I waited this long to search for nerdfighters here! I'm a long standing, very deep Lord of the Rings fan/nerd (to the point where I spent some time studying Sindarin, and where I can do elven calligraphy), as well as a Potterhead. I don't do much with the current TV-show based fandoms, but I'm a big fan of the (original books) Sherlock Holmes.

I play WoW, did a stint in SWTOR but never got hooked, and have been toying around with trying to find an RP guild on LOTRO to play with. I'm an avid tabletop gamer, even though I'm relatively new to that particular nerd-sport, and a voracious reader. I've got a degree in music history (which I'd love to continue on into academia, but I needed a job to afford that and... well, now it's sort of a pipe dream). I played in the SCA for awhile, but have been inactive since my job kind of sucked away what free time I used to have for playing.

I'm looking for more friends and community here on MFP, since up until now it's really just been me logging on my own. Feel free to add me (just leave a note that you found my intro post here, so it's not a blank friend request!), and DFTBA!
  • sperocras
    sperocras Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Woo! Nerdfighters!
  • simplysplendid
    Options
    Hello everyone! I sent you all friend requests because I would love to have some fellow nerdfighters on my friend list. I'm Sarah, and I am a reader, cyclist, and Sherlockian! :)
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.