PCOS and the fight against the scale

Options
Are there any other ladies here who suffer from PCOS? What are you doing to combat this when it comes to the scale?

Replies

• FHerndon01
    Options
    I am hitting it from all angles. I am taking 1000mg of metformin that I take once a day. I have changed my diet and am eating much better. I do limit my carbs but I have not eliminated them. I also watch how much sugar I'm eating. I drink mostly water and have been doing well to drink the recommended amount or higher most days. Weekends I struggle. I've stuck to low sugar fruits. I am also hitting the gym a lot. I have been getting up at 4am and riding our stationery bike for about an hour and doing some core exercises. Evenings after work and weekends I hit the gym with my husband doing about 30 minutes or so of strength training along with 30 minutes of the elliptical. We just added in 30 minutes on the treadmill since my achilles tendon injury is better. We have one rest day - but I still tend to hit the cardio on those days because I feel off if I don't.

With all three I've dropped 17 lbs in 3 weeks. I'm happy!
  • lauriemeridith83
    lauriemeridith83 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I was on the metformin, but stopped taking it (I'm terrible at remembering to take medication).

I'm trying out the Dukan Diet to see if that helps with my weight, and I'm happy to say in 3 days I've lost 7.2 pounds. It definitely works, I've just got to find a way to get over my carb cravings! Whether my weight gave me PCOS or the PCOS caused my weight, carbs are what got me to the weight I'm at. I've got 180 more pounds to lose, so I don't know that this diet is going to be doable long term, but I need to at least get down below the 300 pound mark as quickly as possible!
  • FHerndon01
    Options
    The metformin has really helped with the carb cravings. I had bad side effects the first time I took it - mostly because I wasn't eating well. This time around with much cleaner eating the side effects have been minimal.

I have put it in my head that I'm not on a diet. I'm changing what I eat. I prefer what I'm eating now. The temptations have pretty much been gone and I'm thankful for it. It's hard.. but the longer it's been the easier it is getting. I feel about a zillion times better.
  • FHerndon01
    Options
    My PCOS is hormone related - and that's what has contributed to my weight gain. I'm insulin resistant so the metformin has really been helpful is correcting some of the issues. I put the success of my weight loss on our exercise and diet change habits though.
  • lauriemeridith83
    Options
    I am also insulin resistant. I really do need to start taking the metformin again. I feel like I'm in denial most of the time about my weight, the pcos, not being able to get pregnant...I really need to be honest with myself and take control of my life.
  • FHerndon01
    Options
    Well, you have a big supporter right here! :)
  • lauriemeridith83
    Options
    Thank you!!! :)
  • missartthang
    missartthang Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am also insulin resistant. I really do need to start taking the metformin again. I feel like I'm in denial most of the time about my weight, the pcos, not being able to get pregnant...I really need to be honest with myself and take control of my life.

That's why we're all here! You took a huge step starting this group=and look at all of us who are so glad you did! Have an awesome day!
  • missartthang
    missartthang Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I was on the metformin, but stopped taking it (I'm terrible at remembering to take medication).

I'm trying out the Dukan Diet to see if that helps with my weight, and I'm happy to say in 3 days I've lost 7.2 pounds. It definitely works, I've just got to find a way to get over my carb cravings! Whether my weight gave me PCOS or the PCOS caused my weight, carbs are what got me to the weight I'm at. I've got 180 more pounds to lose, so I don't know that this diet is going to be doable long term, but I need to at least get down below the 300 pound mark as quickly as possible!

What's the basis of the Dukan Diet?
  • poshmonkey
    poshmonkey Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @ (not happy with him right now :p).

I've just (re)started this week, working on just watching my intake period. I'm absolutely lost when it comes to what I should follow as far as carbs/sugar so I'm probably going to find some diabetic and PCOS diet and combine them? I don't know...

I've been doing videos at home (just started 30 day shred yesterday - fun!). After leaving RE's office though, I'm irritated as heck and want to join the gym up here (and for how awful I look in gym clothes, I KNOW I'm irritated lol).
  • FHerndon01
    Options
    I have found so many different things when it comes to a good diet for PCOS & Insulin resistance. Everything I find seems to say low carb/low sugar is going to be the way to go. The amounts you should have vary from what I have found so I am just using my best judgement. First step as far as carbs is concerned is to cut out a lot of the white breads, pasta, etc. Stick to whole grains if you eat them. (That's what I do!) I avoid cereals for the most part (scrambled eggs & turkey bacon with a glass of milk (either the almond milk or 1%) are a pretty normal breakfast for me. I tend to have a sandwich at lunch since our office does not have a microwave. Dinner is usually some kind of meat (turkey, chicken, and pork tenderloin) and veggies. We have cut out all red meat in our diet.
  • lauriemeridith83
    Options

What's the basis of the Dukan Diet?

It's a diet by Dr. Pierre Dukan similar to the Atkins diet except that you don't eat fatty meats and it gives you a way to reincorporate real food back into your life after the weight loss.