Are conversationalists that hard to find?

Options
So (not just online), but when I'm trying to talk to people why are they just so LAME?!?!?!?! I mean I ask tons of questions, try to have an involved conversation, and people give one word answers. Am I really that scary looking? Or intimidating? Or do people just suck that much?

Most recent example a girl from POF. I've talked to her before, but it was like over a year ago, so she still had my number and texts me last night. I'm texting her today, granted I know she's at work, but if she's busy she should just tell me that. Instead she responds with one word answers.

Replies

• La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Yes.

:tongue:
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Possibly.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    That is a symptom of a lack of real chemistry. When you find one, they're either going to be a great friend or a great lover.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't think you can judge anything by the length of her texts because that is meant to be a quick form of communication. Now, if her emails, phone and real life conversation skills are just as bad, then that is a problem.

I do agree that in general, finding someone to have a great conversational rapport with is difficult.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Yep

They

Suck

That

Much

I honestly think it's the digital age, everything has to be so condensed that people have forgotten how to have a conversation.

What is POF? I keep seeing it over and over again and have no reference for it.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options
    That is a symptom of a lack of real chemistry. When you find one, they're either going to be a great friend or a great lover.

I agree. The girl I'm dating and I can talk for hours. About the most useless **** too.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options
    Yep

They

Suck

That

Much

I honestly think it's the digital age, everything has to be so condensed that people have forgotten how to have a conversation.

'

Plenty of fish.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Plenty of Fish - free dating website
    http://www.pof.com
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I talk enough for everyone lol. No but seriously I cant handle people who can't have a conversation.How are you supposed to get to know someone if all they ever say is one word. I would cut my loses there
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Well, it seems like a lot of people don;t know how to old a good conversation or lack the IQ to hold one. I'm personally disturbed by the whole "R u cumming" lexicon. Drives me up the wall when I see people typing like this!
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Well, it seems like a lot of people don;t know how to old a good conversation or lack the IQ to hold one. I'm personally disturbed by the whole "R u cumming" lexicon. Drives me up the wall when I see people typing like this!
    I've only ever said that while sexting... :-P lol j/k
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I love to talk and when I used to go on dates I would talk alot if there was chemistry but less talk if not intereseted. Even in texting I never use just one word to answer questions. My boyfriend is the same way he loves to talk there is never a silent moment when we are together.
  • kali2785
    kali2785 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yea, If she was really interested in talking to you, then she would wait until she had time to give you an appropriate response and not just a one word answer.. That or she just sucks..
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Maybe the questions you are asking only warrant one word answers - or the answers are so intricate getting into it right now would be suuuuuch a paaaaiiiin and will handle it later/in person.

Of course, I've said it before and I'll say it again - people who want you as a part of their life will make an effort to include you. For whatever reason she was talking to you last night, and now she's not. Chillax yo :)
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    I don't think so, but I love meeting new people, so I generally ask them about themselves until they're comfortable enough to open up. It's a gift :flowerforyou:

As a side note: if I send one word answers, it usually means I've been trying to tell someone I'm not interested and s/he's not getting the hint. Eventually I just stop responding :ohwell:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Maybe this:
    That is a symptom of a lack of real chemistry.
    Or this:
    Maybe the questions you are asking only warrant one word answers - or the answers are so intricate getting into it right now would be suuuuuch a paaaaiiiin and will handle it later/in person.
    But always this:
    Of course, I've said it before and I'll say it again - people who want you as a part of their life will make an effort to include you.
    I don't think asking tons of questions is necessarily the way forward. Well... It depends on the kind of questions. Ask questions that will allow for open answers and, particularly with women, questions that involve their feelings/past experiences and opinions on things, that will make them talk about themselves and they will think you're great.
    They will talk for hours, they will like you, and you can be lazy (doesn't work too well online though)
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, but I love meeting new people, so I generally ask them about themselves until they're comfortable enough to open up. It's a gift :flowerforyou:
    Nope, it's a technique :laugh: (which you might have developed naturally lucky person, I know I didn't though! I had to learn it)
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options

ha! awesome response - +1 to you!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

Nerd. lol
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i tend to think so. as much as i love the internet i think part of the reason the art of conversation has been lost is because we rely too much on IM, texts and emails to hold conversations. in those type "conversations" people can multitask and do other things. face to face conversation not so much.

even when there's chemistry, lack of conversation skills can be apparent. i just recently had a first date with a guy i had good chemistry with, but there were times (far too many times) when he would go on and on and on about some project he's working on. that's awesome that he gets excited about it and wants to share it with me, but he was getting way too technical at times and it felt like he was talking at me not to since i couldnt really participate much in the "conversation" besides "ok" and "uh huh".

i've been told that i do a really good glassy eyed stare when i get bored so dude obviously overlooked that :laugh: