... anyone got a clue on Cunsumer Rights?

Options
lizzue
lizzue Posts: 276 Member
Hi all,

I bought an engine from a company to replace my dead one. It can with a sump that leaks oil everywhere. They are replacing it with the sump from my old engine but they are saying they will not pay for the labour charges.

I really think this is unfair and surely products should be in working order?

Any help greatly appreciated!

x

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Generally an item has to be fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act - a leaking sump is not fit for purpose and therefore it is the seller's job to refund, replace etc. There are slightly different rules if the engine was second hand, and depending on wh you bought it from & who fitted it.....

I would strongly suggest you get some local professional advice - your CAB would be a good place to start as they are free:) as getting companies to abide by the SoG Act can be along and arduous process:(
  • lizzue
    Options
    Oh great! Yeha I have gone to them and I am going to follow a template to write a letter of complaint... I am so fed up with them and really wish I could name and shame!!
  • Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There is a really good forum on consumer rights, they helped me out a lot and give you templates, letters etc and who is the right person to contact. It's http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php

Hope you get it sorted x
  • lizzue
    Options
    Oh great! Yeha I have gone to them and I am going to follow a template to write a letter of complaint... I am so fed up with them and really wish I could name and shame!!
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Oh great! Yeha I have gone to them and I am going to follow a template to write a letter of complaint... I am so fed up with them and [really wish I could name and shame!!

Ha, when we took Comet to court over their failure to abide by the SoG Act, they wrote into their court documents that we were not allowed to make any public mention of the case - spent nearly two years keeping my mouth shut against all my instincts. But they lost in open court HA HA so now it is a matter of public record that Comet deliberately and repeatedly failed o refund/replace faulty goods:)

Can I just mention the name again - that would be the multinational chain store that sells computers and electrical goods Comet. Don'y buy from them. Ever.

Wow that felt good:)))))
  • Deka61
    Deka61 Posts: 74
    Options
    Talk to your local council. There is a department that deal with such issues, the Trading standards department. They will tell you what your rights are, and I have found that in my experience will even take your case on , free of any charges. As the other person mentioned, products offered for sale should be fit for purpose, and of merchantable quality.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    if it was sold by a reputable second hand dealer of car spares it will have come with a warrany of somesort, is this so?

failing that it is a second hand purchase and unless the advert stated "no oil or fluid leaks" i do not think you will get anywhere...

however in my experience of engines i would be sceptical of a leaky engine as a {cough} woman or silly little boy could have run it dry on the old oil