Recipes and cooking questions

Options
I'll admit it, I am not the greatest "healthy" cook. I can make you an awesome pot of chicken n dumplins, fry up a mean mess of fish, and bake you a turtle cake that will make you drool every time you think of it.

But when it comes to low calorie, low fat, low carb, healthy cooking, I fall very short. Share your recipes here! Don't know how to cook something you've always wanted to try? Ask here! Hopefully someone here can help!

Replies

• halforc80
    halforc80 Posts: 29
    Options
    I really want to learn to cook more offal... It's so cheap and I've heard really tasty.

I've recently bought some pig's heart to try, and ox kidney to see if I like the stronger taste. Could really do with some advice and recipes though, if anyone has any?
  • lauriemeridith83
    lauriemeridith83 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The only thing I know how to make that has anything like that in it is boudin, which is in NO way healthy.
  • violet456
    violet456 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    A great recipe is for Turkey Tacos. Sometimes the best recipe is just substituting bad ingredients for good ones.

Use Extra Lean Ground Turkey
    Taco seasoning, reduced sodium
    Add some salsa, try to make sure no added sugar in it

Scramble fry the above ingredients.

For toppings
    Lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Red peppers
    More salsa
    Fat Free sour cream
    Low Fat Old Cheddar grated

For the shell, this is the unhealthiest part, I still use standard taco shells, you could also use wraps. Wraps are a high density carb though, use sparingly.

I'm open to suggestions for substitutes on the shells if anyone has ideas.
  • violet456
    Options
    I would also like to share my favorite lunch. It is a giant salad and under 250-300 calories. Depending on what size you make.

Broccoli chopped small, however I don't recommend a food processor otherwise you end up with broccoli confetti. Could just be my food processor though.
    Cauliflower chopped small
    Orange and Red peppers dices or sliced
    Cucumber thinly sliced
    Grated carrots
    Grape tomatoes
    And sliced celery (I almost forgot this one)

For dressing, to be added just before eating the salad
    2-3 tbs - Fat free Miricle Whip
    1/2 c - Light or fat free cottage cheese

I usually have this 3-5 times a week at work. It seems like a lot of chopping, but if you chop a week's worth of veggies on Sunday then your prep is done for the week. This way you get most of your daily required veggies in one serving. (Always ok to go over on veggie/fruit servings in my opinion.)
  • Nursemom63
    Nursemom63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Instead of using taco shells in my taco salad I use corn, my family loves it & it helps add veggies. Give it a try you might like it.
  • violet456
    Options
    That's a good idea. When we do a taco salad type thing, do the usual veggies, salsa and FF sour cream, then add a few (1/2 serving) of baked tostitos or something. Then the meal is around 400 calories which isn't bad.

We are also going to try pita bread instead for a bit healthier option on taco shells. Haven't had a chance yet though, as we have run out of ground turkey for now.
  • BreakfastSunFitness
    Options
    Stir Fry Is a simple and low calorie meal
    so easy i just buy the frozen bag of stir fry veggies I like the ones with the water chestnuts best then just fry it in a Tablespoons of EVO extra virgin olive oil most of the time I also add leftover cooked chicken ,but it is good with just the veggies also :) #Dancinginthekitchen cookbook by Carla Thomas
  • violet456
    Options
    Stir Frys are a wonderous thing. The basics kind of remain the same, but you can make so many different kinds. Here is one I've been working on

Thai Coconut Chicken with buckwheat noodles.

I cook the chicken breasts in a separate pan, in some coconut milk

In the wok I add carrots and celery, to start cooking. Some people cook them in oil, last time I just added a few tables spoons of water, but next time I am trying to just add a bit of 2% milk, as the water adjusts the final product.
    After a few minutes, I add some onions, red peppers, and water chestnuts
    After a few more minutes I add some broccoli, and Zucchini

Once the chicken is cooked,
    Into the wok, I add a bit more coconut cream, seasoning, (sometimes a prepackaged) milk, corn starch, a package of dessert coconut tofu, and about 2 tablespoons of light peanut butter.
    Then Add chicken and cocounut milk from that pan.

While that is cooking gently, stir often, and cook some buckwheat noodles.

This serves about 4 people and is about 500-600 calories each depending on how many noodles, and how much cocount milk I use. It is a good hearty dinner that is a balanced meal, IMO.

Next I'm going to try and make a Curry.
  • FluffyBottom82
    FluffyBottom82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I still use corn tortillas...I just dont fry them. I use Pam for a taco, and steam them in the microwave for enchiladas. I also use the extra lean ground beef part of the time. I makes it feel more like a taco lol