Clipless Road Pedals Vs Clipless Mtb Bike Pedals

Options
Okay, I currently have clip-less Mtb Pedals on my road bike, I put them on so I could switch between bikes easily ( I ride the road bike more often) What are the advantage of Road Pedals over mtb pedals?

Is it worth while to look at putting them on the road bike?

Replies

• cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would like to know also as i have mtb pedals on my roady - my LBS told me that all around mtb shoes were more versatile for walking around during events.
  • bethlikesbikes
    Options
    The advantage of mtb pedals and cleats is that you have two sided entry and they are easier to walk around with. That being said, road shoes tend to be stiffer and there is a larger platform. Both of these things equal a solid power transfer. If you're worried about losing the float that you have with mtb cleats, look for a road cleat with float, such as Look's gray cleats. And you can still walk in road shoes. Some of the cleats have grip on the end (Look's KEO gray pedals). You don't want to walk around more than you have to because it's slightly awkward and you will wear the cleat down faster.
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    what she said +
    look red cleats have 9deg float
    grey cleats have 4.5deg float
    speedplay pedals will still have doulble sided clipping and speedplay zero has adjustable float. other speedplay pedals have up to 22deg float i think.