Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

do intense workouts exist with ellipticals?

Hi,
I just joined this group because my doctor, after diagnosing me with some medical problems, has suggested that I stop any workouts that are even somewhat hard on my joints. This means most of my favorite workouts, such as kickboxing, running, etc (however I definitely won't stop, because I love soccer too much, but I can't do these things as often anymore). He suggested the elliptical. I love it but I don't burn near as many calories doing it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Have you upped the resistance..?
    Elliptical workouts are notorious for burning a bunch of calories.
    Sorry to hear about your diagnoses .
  • ellesoul
    ellesoul Posts: 125 Member
    Up the resistance. Also make sure yore using an elliptical with arms. You should be burning the same if not more calories as your other activities by using the elliptical on a high intensity level
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Get a heart rate monitor (Polar models sync with most ellipticals) and up the resistance. I'm easily able to get my heart rate to and above 80%. Maintain that for 60 - 90 minutes and you'll have the cardio you need to compete in soccer and burn a ton of calories (800 - 1300 for me).
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    I'm using an iPod app that guides me through high intensity interval training on my elliptical...I love it.
  • allybeee
    allybeee Posts: 51 Member
    sounds good, which app?
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    lolo Beatburn Elliptical. I think it was $1.99 For me, it was money well spent.
  • MamaJess
    MamaJess Posts: 181 Member
    https://www.cardiocoach.com
    they have gread programs that I love. I am working through #4 now and it is intense. The programs they have are for runners, treadmill, elliptical, steppers, etc...
    good luck finding what ya need
  • From my own research the cross trainer burns the most calories from all the cardio machines in my gym. That's why I love it! I usually choose a program called x-train aerobics, which alternates between pulling and pushing with arms, pedaling fast and slow, forwards and backwards. Time goes a lot quicker than when I just pedal forward at constant speed. I tend to burn about 400-450 cal for 30 min on this machine at level 11-14.