Please Introduce yourself!

nessa786
nessa786 Posts: 107 Member
Hello there!
My name is Venessa and I am 25 years old. I am a wife, a stay-at-home mother of a 10 month old and a full time student. ( I take night courses so I can be with my son during the day when my husband is at work or sleeping). My goal is to lose 150 lbs, but with that being said, it has been a very difficult journey. Every time I try to lose weight, I get discouraged and quit. That is because I have no one around me to keep me motivated. My husband will tell me that he supports me, but when I ask him to walk with me or workout with me, he says he is too tired. then order pizza and lays out on the couch with our son. So, will you help me stay motivated? And I will return the favor! =)

Replies

• Hi! I'm Rachel. I'm going to be officially starting and following MyFitnessPal on the 9th of April. My mom is doing Weight Watchers, but my family doesn't have enough money for me to join as well, so I'm kind of on my own. My family doesn't support me all that much. My older sister comes home on the weekends from college and eats all she wants because she doesn't have to worry about gaining weight, so I eat right along with her, and that's obviously a problem. My dad and my older brother are overweight, so a big reason I want to lose the 50lbs I need to is to motivate them and inspire them. I've tried to lose weight in the past, but nothing I tried worked. That or I gave up on it. Hopefully this year is the year to get things right. I will gladly keep others motivated for the same favor in return.
  • teimo
    teimo Posts: 44
    Hi.. all help and support gratefully received and will be returned.
    My partner has a very active job, eats like a pig and stays skinny whereas I only have to look at food to gain an inch or two!!
    He doesn't understand how hard it is to lose weight or the psychological torment you go through during the process.
    So HELL YES!!! I'm in!!
  • poorvifat
    poorvifat Posts: 21
    hi am poorvi!glad i found this group.its not that i dont have any support from my family or friends..but im sort of very reserved while talking about my issues to people,even if they are the ones with whom i've spent my whole life till now..and i cant choose to not be a part of what my family does or eats..i've been trying to and i think im doing better after mfp happened to me..like today,my mom brought home a huge tub of vanilla icecream..maade me put my self resolve through the ultimate test..but i did it ..i didnt eat it coz i know that it wont stop with just one bowl...:embarassed: ...so glad i am here!:heart:
  • hi im Ash, i dont get much support. my boyfriend will let me eat anything i want, if i tell him not to let me eat chocolate or crisps, he doesnt like saying no to me. i log in alot, then stop. i want to be motivaated and have lots of support to get into that bikini this summer :)
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 833 Member
    Hi I'm Jenn, I am a tri-athlete that was in a accident and gained 87 pounds in recovery. THis is my first year racing since the accident so I have lots of work to do before my first race later this month. Everyone knows my goals, but my boyfriend is always bring home my favorte junk foods, my mother complains that I need to stop working out, and my best friend is always wanting me to go drink and eat bar food before big events. I just don't understand why they will not let me reach my goals and start racing again, it made me happy!
  • jabosu
    jabosu Posts: 9
    Hi Venessa!!! I could have written what you wrote...word for word!!! My husband isn't much of an exerciser, either, and never wants to go to the gym with me...or even for a walk around the block! I think its partly because he's gained about 60 pounds over the past couple years and would rather stay inside where noone can see him. I joined a gym not far from home, but lack the oomph to take my butt there. I'm going to go tomorrow morning (my husband will be out of town) and ask if anyone else is in need of an exercise buddy.......I joined the gym back in November, but have only been twice because I was diagnosed with lupus and my doctor just recently ok'd me to return to the gym...in moderation....pfff...like I'm going to go all crazy on the machines! LOL
  • nessa786
    Welcome Everyone!
    I am so glad that I am not the only out there with this. Most days I feel so alone. This afternoon I almost craved into my husbands request of ordering pizza when he came home from work, but I came on here instead. Reading your posts just makes me feel even better to foot my foot down and not order =) THANK YOU!! Now I have to find something to make for lunch while he is sleeping. lol.
  • I know this is lame but need to say it O MG, I thought I was the only one with a husband that behaves like that, every time I say the word diet he wants to eat take-outs, have friends around for drinks, BBQ ETC. for years I have been struggling to loose my weight but for over 12 months now he as been doing A worse thing than wanting take outs drinking etc., and if I have been on a diet it only ever lasts a week as now he starves himself virtually, and he can not afford to loose any more weight, and he knows I hated that. when I started this journey 7 days ago I stud up for my self and told him I was going on a diet and if wanted to starve himself then go ahead, and no matter what I am going on a diet and I will loose my 56lb. He as had a few off days trying to make me change my mind about the diet but it hasn't and wont work, I have had several strokes, and other medical problems so doing this for that reason and mainly for my eldest sons wedding August next year,

PS thank you for writing this I genially thought it was just my hubby being insecure x
  • nessa786
    I know this is lame but need to say it O MG, I thought I was the only one with a husband that behaves like that, every time I say the word diet he wants to eat take-outs, have friends around for drinks, BBQ ETC. for years I have been struggling to loose my weight but for over 12 months now he as been doing A worse thing than wanting take outs drinking etc., and if I have been on a diet it only ever lasts a week as now he starves himself virtually, and he can not afford to loose any more weight, and he knows I hated that. when I started this journey 7 days ago I stud up for my self and told him I was going on a diet and if wanted to starve himself then go ahead, and no matter what I am going on a diet and I will loose my 56lb. He as had a few off days trying to make me change my mind about the diet but it hasn't and wont work, I have had several strokes, and other medical problems so doing this for that reason and mainly for my eldest sons wedding August next year,

PS thank you for writing this I genially thought it was just my hubby being insecure x

Well done on standing up for yourself =) My hubbys way of "dieting" is to eat 4 hot dogs, instead of 2 double cheeseburgers lol
  • Just a shame they cant look inside us to see how we are feeling about our selves, but never mind we are the ones that are changing our lives and will feel the benefits, if you find it hard and need motivation i am here
  • teimo
    teimo Posts: 44
    Is it just me??? I've lost nearly 8lbs & want to shout it to everyone but when I told my skinny, overeating bloke, he said 'is that all? You have so much more to lose ploppy'!
    His equally skinny sister (who eats like a bird) said that she thinks I'm 'naturally CHUBBY!!!
    Talk about how to suck the life out of your happiness! Why cant these people be supportive???
  • This morning I felt grate lost 8lb so far, with no help from my husband, he is so sneaky he made tea last night which a refused to eat, mashed potatoes, swede and carrots and sprouts were smothered in butter, and tried to say there was none in, he said that the butter was off a folk that he had used to do is own mash, nice try idiot,
    JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR THIS SITE AS I CAN AIR MY VIEWS AND HAVE THE SUPPORT THAT YOU THINK YOU WOULD GET OFF YOUR HUSBAND.
  • Some people only take and never give back, but you will prove them wrong with all our support, I feel as this site is more like a family, than my actual family Good luck on your journey and well done,
  • nessa786
    This morning I felt grate lost 8lb so far, with no help from my husband, he is so sneaky he made tea last night which a refused to eat, mashed potatoes, swede and carrots and sprouts were smothered in butter, and tried to say there was none in, he said that the butter was off a folk that he had used to do is own mash, nice try idiot,
    JUST WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR THIS SITE AS I CAN AIR MY VIEWS AND HAVE THE SUPPORT THAT YOU THINK YOU WOULD GET OFF YOUR HUSBAND.
    Congrats on the 8 lbs lost!!! =) so happy for you!
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    I hate this as well. I just try to share my happiness with other people who are in the same position as me and forget the others. 8 lbs is a huge accomplishment and you shouldn't let them bring you down!
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Hello! My name is Hillary and I'm 22 years old. I need to lose 150 lbs total. I am absolutely sure and confident that I will do this, but I have no support in my life. Trying to overcome the bad feelings that come from supportless family members, and the feelings of despair that crop up when skinny friends make insensitive comments can really sap the energy that you could otherwise use for good. I have a boyfriend who needs to also lose a lot of weight, around 200 lbs. He isn't as committed to this as I am, but we are seperated for about 6 months while I am on extended business travel. While I'm away from him I find it easier to eat well because he was always encouraging the voice in my head to eat out or eat fast food. Also my mom and grandmother harassed me my entire life about my weight and made me feel worthless, even when I was the goal weight I want to be now. Nothing was ever enough, so I have a lot of resentment and bad feelings about losing weight from that. It takes me a lot of courage and strength to want to lose weight for myself and not just avoid doing anything to "serve them right" if you know what I mean. It seems like when other people make us feel bad about our weight, or at least for me, you resent it and then losing weight is the last thing you want to do.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 289 Member
    im amber im 20 i have an almost 8 mo daughter i surprisingly didnt really gain weight and ended up skinnier after than i was before. for most of my life i remember i always seemed to weigh 240 im now 225 but would like to get down to 150 i know it will take a long time but thats part of the problem i give up easily which is why i want a friend to talk to and challenge i rarely have motovation to exerise which is its own issue. I live in a house with my fionces parents and his grandfather who cooks dinner and that being said some of what he makes isnt the greatest and he only dose dinner type shoping other than lunch meat for lunches theres not much in the house to eat besides that and leftovers. he buys fruit spratically usally theres always bananas which ive grown tired of he buys strawberrys but i feel bad if i eat them all so i try not too. i used to get wic after i was she was born so id get fruits with it for smoothies but now i dont and because of that i no longer get to go shoping and get anything i want we get foodstamps which he uses the bulk of and we usally blow the rest on pop and stuff at the corner store
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 833 Member
    Welcome new members, Remember we are hear for each other to help use reach our goals. feel free to reach out to any one of us for support!
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Hi there,

I have 50 lbs to lose. My partner and I joined a gym about 3 months ago, but he has yet to go and always makes excuses about being too tired or not feeling well, or needing some down time first, and just waiting out any motivation that I have. I have been sick with bronchitis this last month and haven't really been able to go, but I have been working on calorie intake instead, specifically eating more fruits and vegetables and eating smaller portions. My partner, however, who is a total meatatarian, continues making foods like 1/3 lb sausages, steak, etc., and always just talks about what he will be like when he loses his belly, but never does anything about it.

i also have a cousin I'm fairly close to who successfully lost about 60 lbs and has managed to keep it off. Last year, when I was down about 20 lbs from where I am now, I was still heavier than her by about 30 lbs, but was wearing the same size as her and she had a fit. Anytime she notices that I am starting to lose weight, she makes cracks about how I'm just going to gain it back again, and then wants to go to places for dessert or makes cookies or things like that and offers them to me but doesn't eat them herself. Her sister, whom I am also close to, has had this same issue her entire life with my cousin doing these same things to her. I know it's her own deal and I shouldn't let it affect me, but I've always let it get to me and have ended up gaining the weight back.

My mother is also really unsupportive about any time I've lost weight, and claims that whatever I'm doing must be unhealthy and tries to get other people on board.

I decided about 10 days ago that I'm just going to do this for me, and not wait for my partner and not worry what my family thinks/says/does etc. Any support from here would be SOOOOO appreciated.
  • nessa786
    Welcome to the group!!! =) Feel free to add me if you would like.