achilles tendinosis Help

Options
Weathers58
Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
Si I've got a sore achilles, its not that bad yet but with circa 180 miles to complete this month before tapering for my Marathon at the end of May.

Does anybody have any ideas how to keep this at bay without resting too much?

Cheers Tim

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    ah good question
    I have struggled with this since being a moron and pushing through and ankle sprain a couple of years ago.

What helps me most is:

a) compression socks
    b) Hammer Tissue supplements
    c) epsom salt baths
  • gorunjogger
    Options
    I encountered similar Achilles issue a few weeks back. Here is what I did:

1. Obviously cut back on training.
    2. Are your shoes worn out and need to be replaced? I changed to a new pair of running shoes.
    3. When you are not running, put a heel raiser/heel lift in your daily walking/working shoes (it's like wearing a high heel). This will shorten the Achilles tendon, relieves pressure and shortens the tendon to avoid being over stretched.
    4. Stretching - especially the IT band and hamstring. Most Achilles issues are caused by tight hamstring or IT band.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • EBell83
    EBell83 Posts: 18
    Options
    Just joined this group and it was the first post I came across. Thanks for the good advice, as I am experiencing Achilles tenderness as well! I plan to do an epsom soak after my runs and can definitely vouch for the extra static stretching after runs, it seems to be helping. I hadn't thought about the risers in regular shoes, but it makes sense to shorten the tendon to reduce tension on it.