Eat before a ride?

Options
Do you guys eat anything or drink anything before you set out? Maybe a powerbar or something? Do you feel it helps?

Replies

• cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    For me I usually eat a small meal about a hour before I ride. If I don't I just start bonking about 20 miles into the ride. This meal is usually just bread with some peanut butter and honey with my coffee.
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I eat something especially if it is the first thing I do in the day. I will eat a almond butter sandwich with jam on wheat plus some fruit to give me fuel to ride. I take some electrolyte loaded water with me (using Nuun ? tablets) to give my water added oomph. I also carry some powerbar energy blasts just in case.

I figure it this way...you don't drive w/o filling the tank enough right? Same for the body. Gotta add fuel. :bigsmile:
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    If my ride is after work, but before dinner, I have a protien bar and some raisins just before I leave the office (more than that and I'm sluggish and a bit nauseated). That will usually do me for 20 or 30 miles, anything longer I need to refuel again.
  • Bob321
    Bob321 Posts: 4
    Options
    Excellent. Thanks for the advice/feedback.
  • budkid
    budkid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    PB&J is my preride fuel. I usually eat 2 sandwiches 30-40 minutes before I go on a long ride. Then supplement with gelpacks, gatorade, and other food bars during the ride. For me, caffeine really helps on my long rides. So usually I have gel packs with caffeine or else have Amino Energy(by Optimum Nutrition) in my second bottle.