Meal Time

Options
Okay,

So how do you all navigate meals when you also have a spouse/partner that has similar issues? I used to make two meals, but now I refuse. He either eats what I do or he can snack on something else.

The most frustrating thing about that though is that because he likes different snacks, he brings junk into our house. I've set a boundary many times but it still filters its way into our pantry! (and in my weaker moments, when I need something sweet, knowing I have that in the house is not good for my morale....and I tend to give in!)

How do you navigate all of this? What steps/boundaries have you put in place?

Replies

• Mawkish1983
    Mawkish1983 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good question. In my household I tend to do most of the cooking (and all of the cleaning)... and we frequently get into arguements about what to eat.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Most of the time my husband will eat what I make. He does like my cooking and will eat healthy stuff that I make (like mashed cauliflour instead of mashed potatoes, grilled tuna etc). A lot of time I get home kinda late from the gym (I go right after work) and he will have eaten a whole pizza or something else random. If I don't feel ike cooking or make something small for myself he can fend for himself lol. I have really worked on using the work "no" when he has snacks, it is hard but I am capable (finally)
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have to try to stop him when he says he is going to go shopping cause he comes back with hardly anything healthy. As for cooking I fix something for the whole family. I eat 1 serving while he has 2nds and even 3rds. He likes to go across the street after dinner and get himself and the kids chocolate and chips and sodas. I dont think this is a good habit to be teaching my kids.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I do all the grocery shopping and all the cooking. My hubby either eats what I cook or he can forage around for something more his liking. He won't find sweets, highly processed or empty calorie crap at home, so he will make do. Of course, this explains why he sneaks junk when he's out alone. He thinks he's slick, but I often find evidence, i.e. receipts, wrappers, in his truck or pockets.:huh:

He likes to make "suggestions" of how or what I should cook. It's usually something that will turn my meal into something totally unhealthy. I've "suggested" to him that he is more than welcomed to do the cooking. So far, he hasn't taken me up on that offer.:laugh:
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Luckily, my husband will eat anything I put in front of him. He loves my food! My issue with him is 1. The amount of food he is able to consume. Just about anything is ok in moderation, but he goes totally overboard! I have started making his plate myself, so I can control his portions. But if there is any kind of treat in the house, it's GONE in a matter of days (sometimes hours). I like to allow myself treats every now and then, but I tend not to buy them because I usually don't even get to eat them! 2. His food choices. If left to his own devices, he would eat nothing but Popeye's chicken and gallons of ice cream. I sometimes feel like I'm dealing with a child. I have to remind him of EVERYTHING and I hate the fact that I have to monitor what he eats... :explode:
  • Phoenix59
    Options
    Luckily, my husband will eat anything I put in front of him. He loves my food! My issue with him is 1. The amount of food he is able to consume. Just about anything is ok in moderation, but he goes totally overboard! I have started making his plate myself, so I can control his portions. But if there is any kind of treat in the house, it's GONE in a matter of days (sometimes hours). I like to allow myself treats every now and then, but I tend not to buy them because I usually don't even get to eat them! 2. His food choices. If left to his own devices, he would eat nothing but Popeye's chicken and gallons of ice cream. I sometimes feel like I'm dealing with a child. I have to remind him of EVERYTHING and I hate the fact that I have to monitor what he eats... :explode:

We must be married to the same man! Popeye's chicken and ice cream are a dead giveaway! Although I can monitor what he eats at home, I can't control his portions. I'll give him his first serving, but invariably he will serve himself seconds and thirds, if there's anything else. I just keep telling myself that at least it's healthy stuff. :smile:
  • alex_marie85
    Options

My husband eats treats too in a matter of hours! I'll bake cookies thinking I can eat on them for days, come home and they are gone! I've given up monitoring him because if I do, he just sneaks food. I'm hoping my healthy habits will inspire him.....however I've also entertained that if it gets too bad it might literally be time for an intervention.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

We must be married to the same man! Popeye's chicken and ice cream are a dead giveaway! Although I can monitor what he eats at home, I can't control his portions. I'll give him his first serving, but invariably he will serve himself seconds and thirds, if there's anything else. I just keep telling myself that at least it's healthy stuff. :smile:

He made muffins to take to a church function on Sunday, and had some left over... He ate NINE of them and used an entire stick of butter on them!!! SERIOUSLY???
  • alex_marie85
    Options
    Good question. In my household I tend to do most of the cooking (and all of the cleaning)... and we frequently get into arguements about what to eat.

Wow! You are awesome, you can come and clean and cook at my house anytime! So when you get into those arguments how do you settle it?
  • MeliNichole84
    MeliNichole84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow a man who does all the cooking and cleaning? What a lucky lady she is!!!

I cook alot but my husband loves to cook as well. I am obese (5'8, 255) *yuck* and so is he (5'10, 240) He refuses to eat healthy. I can make chocolate chip cookies and he will eat all 12 of them. Who does that? I may have 2 tops. I just began my weight loss journey 22 days ago. I am hoping that he will see the changes I am making and will jump on board also. We just got married on 9-10-11 and want to have a family one day. Im so glad that you made this group and so glad that I am not alone. Its so frustrating to live with someone who eats all the bad stuff in front of you and isnt supportive at all. I am doing this for ME. I will not let anyone stand in my way. This is MY life.

I have started diets before and failed, I feel like for the first time in my life I can do this. I WILL do this.
    As far as him not liking/wanting to eat what I cook....I tell him like my mama always told me 'eat it or starve!'
  • only_5mom
    only_5mom Posts: 28
    Options
    I make healthy meals. He eats what he will from them, the meat and potato and not the salad or veggies if they aren't the ones he really likes. The problem here is what he does when he is not at home or not at meal time. He goes out for fast food or wings almost every day. He did give up sugary sodas last year and lost 20 lbs. He has switched to diet sodas and unsweetened tea, but the super-sized burgers and fries and Mexican restaurant chips and salsa continue. Then he stops at the convenience store and picks up a candy bar and a mocha or latte. THAT is something only he can control. When there is sweets in the house, he usually doesn't eat much of it-the kids do those in, it is all when he is alone or with work people.
  • Phoenix59
    Options
    He has switched to diet sodas and unsweetened tea, but the super-sized burgers and fries and Mexican restaurant chips and salsa continue. Then he stops at the convenience store and picks up a candy bar and a mocha or latte. THAT is something only he can control. When there is sweets in the house, he usually doesn't eat much of it-the kids do those in, it is all when he is alone or with work people.

My husband does the same. It doesn't help that there is always some kind of "event" at work where they bring in pizza, pastries, etc. He loads up there, then is upset with himself AFTER when he checks his glucose. *smh* He suffers from "buyer's remorse" on a daily basis, but the temptation is just too much for him. I really do feel for him, but he alone is the only one who can control that.
  • clareeast
    clareeast Posts: 64
    Options
    My husband is exactly the same - serious issues with portion control, and really picky about eating fruit and veg!! He probabaly needs to lose the weight more than I do - but I get health problems when I gain weight and he doesn't (yet!).

I do most of the cooking, and most of the shopping - but he had a few days off work last week and we went to the supermarket together. The amount of junk and snacks we bought isn't worth thinking about!!

Normally he eats whatever I cook - but two or even three times what I would call a "portion". Then he snacks on biscuits, chocolate or any other high-fat, high-sugar food available. He has stopped taking sugar in his tea, as all his staff are on sweeteners so he has switched too, but otherwise he does nothing I would describe as healthy eating. It can be VERY hard work!!