new to PCOS and Fittness Pal!

Options
Hi there,
I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3-4 years ago, but I will admit I didn't take it seriously. I took the Metformin they gave me, for about 3 months or so, but I couldn't put up with the HORRIBLE side effects. They also gave me some medication to induce a period, which I took once or twice. To make a long story short, I gave up. Once the medications ran out, I never went back to get them refilled and I decided to let PCOS take me over.
Now a few years later, and a little smarter, I have decided I am not going to let it control my life! I am tired of feeling so tired, and run down. I am sick of feeling ugly and not womanly(not sure thats a word lol). Most of all, we are ready to start a family and PCOS is obviously standing in the way of that. I know that I need to go to a Dr, but I am unsure which type I should see(Endo, Reproductive Endo, OB.GYN???)
I am hoping to find friends that are going through the same experiences. Also, those who have been through and can help me with tips/suggestions. I am a very outgoing and friendly person. I enjoy helping others more than I enjoy helping myself(which is why I need a motivator lol). Thanks!!!!!!!

Replies

• mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've gone through that all. Might I suggest eating when you take your Metaformin, it really helps with the side effects. When I finally got on track with my meds and eating right, I got pregnant with my son. Then I still took my meds but I fell off the eating right wagon after I had him. PCOS gives you Gestational Diabetes while you're pregnant, and the shock of the Gestational Diabetes diet, made me pig out after I had Alex. But I'm back to eating right and added exercise along with taking the meds, and I've lost 58 pounds. You can do this, any questions you have, I'll guide you through it.
  • livlghlveleo87
    Options
    Wow, that is awesome! Good for you ! Thank you for your reply.

Did you have any problems with your period being irregular? If so, did the Metformin helped you with that? I have only had two periods in my life and I am 24, almost 25. The only reason I got those two was because they gave me something to induce it, but I have never naturally had one.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Very much, as a teenager and in my 20's, it was around 45 days apart, sometimes more. Then when I turned 30, they got out of hand at almost 90 days apart. I would have to take medicine to make me have a period. Then I started taking my medicine, eating right, and the period came back. I ovulated and didn't know it, because of PCOS. Then I had the 90 days again until I got on MFP in January of 2011 and started eating right again. In March 2011 my periods came back every 30 days, and then in October I added exercise to my routine and things are getting better. Hubby and I are praying to conceive a child this year. If not then we are going to try Clomid. As I will be 37 in November, it will be time to try.
  • StephMykytuk
    Options
    Hi All

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2006. Have been TTC ever since. Tried metformin, clomid, in vitro and surrogacy with no success. We are just about on the waiting list to adopt domestic.

I have always been a little overweight and now I just really want to be healthier. I need to eat better and exercise regularly. My main reason is to lower my risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease. If it also happens to help with my PCOS that would be great. Maybe one day I will get pregnant on my own, not counting on it, but just maybe. I have only had my period come on its own thee or four times in my life.

Its nice to see lots of support on this website.