losing weight is harder with excersize?

Options
hey has anyone noticed its harder to lose weight while excersizing?

i mean i feel i look slimmer but weight the exact same.

has anyone had this problem i know that muscle weighs more than fat, but u would expect to lose a bit right

Replies

• mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    In theory it would help in the long run, the more muscle you add the more you burn even when sedentary. It's worth it if you want to see long term results. Muscle is more dense than fat but weight loss without exercise can lead to a pretty saggy, unshapely body - I'm saying this from experience and not judging everyone that has lost weight not exercising but I did years ago and I just always felt slightly wobbly.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am finding the same thing. I was told that I am developing muscle. I know a pound of muscle WEIGHS the same as a pound of fat, but by volume, muscle weighs more than fat. I was told to notice how my clothes fit. How are your clothes fitting? I decided to not weigh myself for a month or so.

Good luck.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    hey has anyone noticed its harder to lose weight while excersizing?

i mean i feel i look slimmer but weight the exact same.

has anyone had this problem i know that muscle weighs more than fat, but u would expect to lose a bit right

Yes, especially if strength training is your main exercise of choice. I only lose any weight every two - three weeks, but the inches are coming of much quicker, which works for me cause I am here mainly to change my body composition which seems to be working.
  • keash
    keash Posts: 12
    Options
    Get the tape measure out and hide the scales! Just for a few weeks, see how you go!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Supposedly (according to what I've read on this forum) it's really difficult to add much muscle while on a calorie deficit. So muscle gain shouldn't count for much of the slow down in weight loss.

Personally, I have put on weight through exercising in the past, but that was when I wasn't dieting! And it wasn't a lot of weight.

Having said that, it does feel as if exercising slows weight loss down, doesn't it? I have read something about exercise making you retain fluid (or something - I'm very vague on this). There's also the fact that losing weight seems to slow down anyway - it shouldn't, but it does, in my experience, once you've been doing it a while. And with the MFP system there's always the danger that you can overestimate exercise calories and so have less of a deficit than you would if you're not exercising. I'm quite careful about how much exercise I log, for that reason, because some of the calorie estimates seem to be quite generous.

To be honest, I don't think exercising really helps you lose weight. I'm doing it more for health reasons.