need input please!

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
First off, I apologize if this is kind of juvenile or whatever to you guys! The majority of you are older than me, but you do offer really good advice!

So there's this guy that I've kind of been hanging out with. I guess I would describe it as "more than friends but less than anything else."

I'm not the type of person normally just to text people randomly unless I have something to say. A friend of ours told me he said to her that he wished I initiated more of our conversations. I will admit that I don't, but I am really enthusiastic in my responses when he does text me. Since then, I've texted him a couple of times and we did a bonfire at his house with some friends and a group meal out. I saw him on campus for a while on Wednesday and briefly on Thursday.

Yesterday at five, I texted him something like "hey! how is being home?" He always texts me really similar stuff like "hey how is your day?" or "hey! what are you up to this week?" so I figured it was a safe text to send and it showed him that I do care about him too.

Well, nothing back. It's been over 24 hours. I've seen him online so I don't think it's like his phone broke, and I checked and he did receive the text. Does this mean anything that he never said anything back? Am I reading into it too much or is this his way of hinting that he's not interested in me anymore? Thank you guys in advance. Again, sorry this is really middle-school problems lol.

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Text messages should not be read into that much. An absence of communication in any method is concerning, but I've seen pleasant text exchanges lead to nothing.

You and this guy need to get together in person and see where things go. If things are good in person and you see each other in person fairly frequently, then that is all that matters.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wouldn't read toooo much into it. Though it's always nice to hear back from someone, he may have been busy went you originally sent the text, read it but didn't have time to reply and has since forgotten.

See if you can single him out in person and go from there :)
  • christine24t
    Options
    You and this guy need to get together in person and see where things go

Now I'm nervous to text him again and ask! I'm the kind of person that doesn't want to bother the other person. If this is his way of blowing me off I'd rather not make it more awkward, you know? Ugh I hate guys sometimes...no offense to you two lol. Thank you. I hope it something dumb like he broke his phone/just forgot, but he's the kind of guy who has his phone plastered in his hand.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont read too much into it. one of the problems with texting is that there's no guarantee that the person receives your text message.

just this morning i received a text message that was sent thursday night :laugh:

if you like him, make an attempt to see him in person .
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    dont read too much into it....maybe tomorrow (if he celebrates easter) you could text him happy easter......but other than that I wouldnt text him for a bit...since you dont want to come off as desperate
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wouldn't read toooo much into it. Though it's always nice to hear back from someone, he may have been busy went you originally sent the text, read it but didn't have time to reply and has since forgotten.

yup, this..
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    do you know how many times I get 57 texts at once and forget to respond to them all? I might read them all, but I don't always get back with EVERY single person. And then there are times when I'm really busy and I'll glance at my phone, read a text, and promptly forget it was ever there. Even when it's from someone I REALLYREALLYREALLYREALLY want to talk to.

send another innocuous text, and give it time. whateveryou do, DON'T blow up his phone, or send something like "what did i do? are you ok? do you still like me? did i do something wrong?" etc.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    You and this guy need to get together in person and see where things go

Now I'm nervous to text him again and ask! I'm the kind of person that doesn't want to bother the other person. If this is his way of blowing me off I'd rather not make it more awkward, you know? Ugh I hate guys sometimes...no offense to you two lol. Thank you. I hope it something dumb like he broke his phone/just forgot, but he's the kind of guy who has his phone plastered in his hand.

Don't be nervous miss! You need to find out, he should have the balls to tell you (nicely) if he's not interested and if he's not then that's fair enough but at least you know and can stop worrying about it.
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't read into it, it's a holiday weekend. When I'm with my family my phone is off/ignored a lot of the time.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I have something to say. A friend of ours told me he said to her that he wished I initiated more of our conversations.

After a comment/concern like this, I would blow his mind with a 3 page text!!!

I must admit, I have blown off a guy for just constantly texting me the same innocuous thing all the time. Sorry, but I just need someone with 'something' to say. Dont know why, lets just say "its not you, its me!" :laugh:

So, IMHO, If he needs you to initiate (and its brilliant that you know this via a friend), then that is what you must do! If you can!! And make it interesting!! I dont know your personality, but you seem to be active and talkative on here, so I dont think you have a problem talking!!!??? So, go talk to the guy. In fact, if you're feeling really good today, just ring him and have a long conversation :flowerforyou:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have something to say. A friend of ours told me he said to her that he wished I initiated more of our conversations.

I guess it’s like intimacy… the man likes to pursue, but every once in awhile it’s nice for the woman to show he’s wanted. 

OTOH, I had a guy tell me that I should contact him first, that he had changed his mindset and now refused to converse with someone who didn’t contact him first. Turned out, he was seeing someone else.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    OTOH, I had a guy tell me that I should contact him first, that he had changed his mindset and now refused to converse with someone who didn’t contact him first. Turned out, he was seeing someone else.

Color me shocked.

I don't know, I can't speak for men, obviously, but I do not "forget" to respond to text messages from men I really like. If it's a guy I'm just friends with and he texts me while I'm in the middle of something, I may very well forget until I see it again in a day or two and realize I never responded. A man I'm trying to establish something with, he's getting a response as soon as it's appropriate.

But that's just me. I'm not trying to predict what this guy's problem is.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

O.M.G!!!!! Really??? What a douche!!! :explode:

Although, I dont think this is what the OP is being asked to do...........?
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

Color me shocked.

I don't know, I can't speak for men, obviously, but I do not "forget" to respond to text messages from men I really like. If it's a guy I'm just friends with and he texts me while I'm in the middle of something, I may very well forget until I see it again in a day or two and realize I never responded. A man I'm trying to establish something with, he's getting a response as soon as it's appropriate.

But that's just me. I'm not trying to predict what this guy's problem is.

Same here, I never forget either :bigsmile: Unless the text is just....... blah!?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Although, I dont think this is what the OP is being asked to do...........?

No, but I think it's a good example of what you're really dealing with when you've got a guy who basically forces you to initiate all the contact in the early going. There tends to be a reason for it, and it's usually "I'm not that into her" or "My girlfriend will be a lot less pissed if I can legitimately say 'Hey, she was texting ME, not the other way around,' when I get caught."
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I forget to respond to texts all the time...

But rarely when it's someone I really like or want to date or something.
  • christine24t
    Options
    Just an update - he never texted me back and it's been over 3 days. I'm not contacting him unless he says something to me. Clearly I don't mean enough to warrant him texting me at all over the weekend so I'm not going to bother. It's a shame because I did kinda like him.
  • christine24t
    Options
    Another update!
    He texted me a while after writing that and we are going to hang out tomorrow. He never acknowledged my text and he was really nice so I'm wondering if it just got lost in transmission?
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    I know I have said this before .. but alot of times I answer a text in my mind and then forget to actually send a response back. lol. I'll set the phone down and then poof .. its gone.

Glad he answered you back tho .. :smile:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    I know I have said this before .. but alot of times I answer a text in my mind and then forget to actually send a response back. lol. I'll set the phone down and then poof .. its gone.

Glad he answered you back tho .. :smile:

this^^^ Texts aren't 100%. I would never leave something after 1 text. 2 or 3, yes, but lots of things can happen to that little 1!!

Have a great time :flowerforyou: