Are you eating the extra calories it gives you when you exer

Options
2»

Replies

• Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    AGREED. I like to think of it as more of a weekly total thing. So, instead of eating back all of my exercise calories every time, I just upped my calories to .5 lb loss a week (which for me is like 1800 calories, I am 5'9''). Then, with my workouts 3-4 times a week, I am netting about as many calories weekly as I would be assigned for a much faster loss rate, but I am still getting enough food.

1200 calories is not enough for you, girl! I was doing that for a while and losing BUT and I hit a plateau because I wasn't giving my body enough to eat, and I was tired all the time. As they said, calculate your BMR, which is what your body needs for basic organ and body functions if you didn't burn any extra during the day, and I wouldn't eat below that. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • kelzpop
    kelzpop Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them back, sometimes not. I might bank them for later in the week to ensure I can have some alcohol or a dinner out that I don't have to find a healthier option. I don't view it as a daily process though, I'm more focused on weekly.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It depends.

Somedays I run and I'm like 1000 calories under and I just go to bed thinking I'll need those 'extra calories' on the weekend when I am going to be drinking beer and eating out.

Somedays, I am just SO hungry that I will eat about half of those.

So far I think I've seen better results with the latter than the former.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    See, that's what I was wondering. Eating 1200 calories at my height and exercising on top of it made me feel like I could eat a horse. But if you guys say you are still losing weight at our height with the extra calories, then I would rather exercise and get the benefits of working out plus snacking and eating more. I will give up very soon if I only eat the 1200. But it does make sense. I was crazy hungry all day today. I think my body is adjusting to this new system. Thanks for your help.

Definitely eat back your exercise calories. But I will say- the first 2 weeks I was starving because my stomach had to shrink. We have to eat too much food before we get that "I'm full" signal. I would suggest getting at least 1400 calories into your body for the first 2 weeks. Then, your body will be able to accurately tell you when it is hungry and full.
  • katykosto
    katykosto Posts: 80
    Options
    I have kind of the opposite problem, I have become obsessed with staying UNDER my calorie count and I dont eat extra the days I work out, yesterday I ate about 800-900 calories =/ I only drink water or milk and eat mostly chicken and fruit....I am a picky eater so I dont like many healthy foods like salad and subs, love snack foods & junk thats where my problem started so I dont want to risk eating a snack and wanting more junk and then over eating....