Third Goal Activities

Options
PeaceCorpsKat
PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
What is the best Third Goal activity you have ever done?

I visited a school on the last day before winter break and I brought my Peace Corps dog, Flaka Belletje. We talked about the holidays in Suriname, then I told all the kids about how people in Suriname gave gifts, including how my host mom gave me my dog.

Replies

• osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Aww that's so nice! I don't really have any yet - I'm a TEFL volunteer and I wanted to correspond with a school in America, but it hasn't really taken off yet. When my parents came, I did make sure that we had a traditional Romanian christmas! I also have a blog...that I never write in. I need to change that.

But - I did a fun second goal activity last week! In Romania we have this thing called Scoala Altfel (Alternative School) where the kids do...alternative things for a week. Field trips, etc. I had a demonstration on how to make American pancakes for some of my older classes, which was really fun. Not exactly world-changing, I know, but my students, the other teachers, and even the principal loved it!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    OMG that's so cute.

Did you do the World Wise Schools thing to connect with the classroom?
  • MongolishMama
    Options
    Not exactly world-changing, I know, but my students, the other teachers, and even the principal loved it!

Way to go!!! It makes me sad that so many volunteers feel as if their service/projects have to be world-changing to be worthwhile. This is sooooo not true! My favorite project was teaching the elderly in my community how to convert the cyrillic alphabet to the roman one so they could text!!!! they loved it and it was useful to them! No doubt your activity did the same!

My favorite 3rd Goal Activity was talking about Peace Corps/Mongolia to a local girl scout troop!
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What is the best Third Goal activity you have ever done?

I visited a school on the last day before winter break and I brought my Peace Corps dog, Flaka Belletje. We talked about the holidays in Suriname, then I told all the kids about how people in Suriname gave gifts, including how my host mom gave me my dog.

I'm going to bring my cat back home with me. She's spoiled rotten and totally my teddy bear. My best 3rd goal activity will probably be showing everyone my crazy looking Tanzanian cat!

But so far, I went home over Christmas and spoke to a women's group about teaching. In turn, they donated supplies and gave some scholarships to my school. They really liked hearing about how different things are here!