personal trainers - how do I get the most for my $$

Options
Hi everyone - new member here (Patty). I just joined a new gym and signed up for sessions with a personal trainer (at $47.50/hr!). He is a nice guy and seems to know what he's doing, but how do I get the most out of him - in other words - I don't want to pay for someone to just stand there and count to 15 for me! Any thoughts?

Replies

• bellefille
    bellefille Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi,

A few suggestions based on my experience with a couple of really good trainers over the last couple of years:

- Make sure you get the right trainer for you i.e. if you have medical issues make sure that you are getting a level 2 or level 3 trainer. I was fortunate that when I first signed up for a trainer I was assigned a level 3 trainer - and it was really fortunate for me as she became a part of my recovery after undergoing two surgeries in the last three years.
    - Since you ultimately want to work out on your own (I assume), ask questions about the workouts that you do with him. Ideally, he should be able to tell you which muscle groups he is targeting with the exercises - by the end you the week you should have hit each of the main muscle groups
    - Most importantly he needs to show you what the correct posture is for each exercise and what to watch out for when doing the exercises so that you can avoid injury