need advice...

Hi everyone!
I recently started jogging this year and just jogged a 5k. I am really slow and generally jog at a 12 minute pace (give or take 20 seconds) for 5 miles three times a week. I do other exercising as well on my off days.
That being said, I just did my first 5k and was at about an 11:20 pace which has never happened. Likely the excitement sped me up.

Anyone have advice on how to increase my speed? I have read conflicting things but much of what I found is to get people that are fast already, faster....

Any suggestions?

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    interval training, or fartlek (speed play).

Also try shorter distances. as this can help you increase your speed.

are you able to get a running buddy? sometimes running with another person can help too. There was something else I wanted to add, but now I can't remember it, so I will add it when I do remember it.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    To increase your speed, you need to increase your base. Run more
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    I would agree with increasing volume vs. intensity at this point.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    First off, you're not jogging. You're running. Jogging is what you do to your memory, or with your dog. Running is what you do the rest of the time.

Second, there are lots of ways to increase speed. Intervals or fartleks or speed drills. Building your base. Strength training. All can help.

I like speed drills. Sometimes speed is little more than teaching your body to cope with the demands you're putting it through. In other words, learning how to be comfortable as your HR climbs to new and exciting levels of discomfort.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    This is a helpful bit of info here..goes along with what everybody is saying.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/283500-running-mystrategies-for-building-speeeeeeed
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    The only way I ever got faster was by running more and paying no attention to speed at all! As I got fitter and more used to the demands I was placing on myself, the faster I became naturally. Mind you, I started at a 15 min mile and am now down to about 11-12 min miles dependant upon distance.
    I say build endurance, and speed in shorter distances will be improved.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Yeah, work on distance first. Speed will come. My first 5K (at 265 lbs) was 49:49. My last one was at 28:41. I'm hoping to get under 25 minutes next Saturday. : )
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    First off, you're not jogging. You're running. Jogging is what you do to your memory, or with your dog. Running is what you do the rest of the time.

LOL. Love this!

As others have said above, increasing your base and running intervals will help :) You just have to get your body used to running more and running faster.
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member

Thanks for my FB status for today!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I wold not recommend intervals yet as they are tough and you need a fair amount of endurance build up to make them worthwhile and a fair amount of conditioning to not get injured. Also, doing what is below will prepare you for intervals several months down the road..

I would recommend these:
    Fartleks (once a week): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek
    Hill Sprints (up to twice a week): http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15737
    20 minute tempo run (once a week): http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--11909-0,00.html

Also, keep doing the easy conditioning runs to continue building basic aerobic fitness. The more miles you run every week the faster you will get.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    As suggestyed intervals hills Yassos fartlek.

Search them and add at least a hill session and an interval session a week and be patient you'll get there.

I was running circa 12 min miles two years ago I'm now up in the 8 bracket.

It just takes time.

Enter a race that'll keep you focussed.

All the best and friend me if you want I'm week 11 of 16 for Edinburgh Marathon and Leeds half in the UK.

Tim