Troubles Sleeping!!

Options
MsNewBooty83
MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
So, some of you may have seen my post from yesterday...in case you havent, i have cold turkey quit smoking. im on day 41 today :) ive only gained 4lbs so far and im feeling like thats because part of my quit smoking strategy was to not smoke b4 i go to the gym in the morning...this also cut out the half pot of coffeee with cream and sugars that i would guzzle down as i puffed away at 3 cigarettes just to start my day. ANYWAYS, for some reason before i quit smoking i could drink coffe all day long and still sleep like a baby. now wioth out coffee or cigarettes, im having the worst sleeps of my freaking life! ive started to use meletonin to help me stay asleep at night, but im worried i will become more dependant on it as time wears on. ANY SUGGESTIONS?!!! my problem isnt getting to sleep, its staying asleep.

Replies

• You might wanna check with your doctor about that one. I know that quitting smoking is a stressful process so that may be a part of the problem. Hang in there and get some professional help, please don't risk becoming addicted to sleeping pills we all have addictive personalities ya know!
  • Ps. I still have my coffee but I replaced all that sugar with Stevia, its awesome!
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Melatonin is a natural hormone that is produced by our brain. It's not addictive. I also have trouble getting to sleep after quitting, plus taking Chantix is probably part of the reason for that. Melatonin has helped me immensely. I have taken it many times before over the years and have never had a problem. Melatonin is what most doctors recommend for children who also have trouble sleeping. :)

Good luck, and congratulations on quitting!
  • goofyrick24
    goofyrick24 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Take Melatonin at night and take a B complex (I use the liquid) in the mornings for a few months.... I'm on day 10 without a smoke, but the Chantix makes me want to sleep 12-16 hours at a time and its killing me to get up in the mornings... (I think I'm just enjoying the dreams too much)... any advice on how to feel human while on Chantix?
  • MsNewBooty83
    Options
    thanks for the responses guys! i will stick it out with the meletonin for now, i us 3mg/night usually, in liquid form. i read online that up to 9mg for an adult is safe. sometimes i have a lil extra half a dropper for good measure, lol. :laugh:
  • roginagosnell
    Options
    I quit smoking almost 2 weeks ago, I have trouble sleeping also. I have gained 4 pounds already...So now I am being really strict on my diet and increasing my exercise. :love:
  • aesimonton
    Options
    I don't know if this is because of the drugs or the subconscious feeling of withdraw; I have dreams about smoking.

Awake I have no desire for cigarettes anymore (except when I'm drinking -- but that urge passes after about 10-15 minutes). But, 3-4 different times in the past 2 weeks I've woken up feeling guilty about smoking in my dreams!

Anyone else dream about cigarettes?
  • stage5
    stage5 Posts: 12
    Options
    I,m Cold Turkey over 3 months and I had one. The dream started off with me being in a smokey environment and as it started heading towards me actually smoking, I woke up in shock.
    Some say its a sign we have reached the level where we have accepted we have given up smoking and others that its the Nicotine trying desperately to get us back. In other words its common amongst Quitters.
  • No need to feel guilty about a dream. If you do something for any length of time, it's only natural for you to think or dream about it as long as you don't act apon it. you're all good.
  • MsNewBooty83
    Options
    I don't know if this is because of the drugs or the subconscious feeling of withdraw; I have dreams about smoking.

Awake I have no desire for cigarettes anymore (except when I'm drinking -- but that urge passes after about 10-15 minutes). But, 3-4 different times in the past 2 weeks I've woken up feeling guilty about smoking in my dreams!

Anyone else dream about cigarettes?

i have at least 3 times, the giult i feel in my dreams is insane! i actually woke myself up because i really believed i was smoking, i could feel it in my throat, it was crazy! i could taste it even! lol
  • It's a crazy addictive drug but the cravings do get less and less as time goes by.