Help!!!

Options
I need help finding healthy snack ideas??? I am just starting my diet and I have never dieted before so Im lost lol.
I go to school at night and need healthy yummy snacks on the go.... any ideas friends?

Nikki :sad:

Replies

• transferofhealth
    Options
    Sorry I didn't see this right after you posted - how is it going? Were you able to get some ideas?

I try to post on our site http://www.transferofhealth.com as I'm going through the journey to eating healthy.

Today I just posted about how I prepare food for the week (it's actually my own planning for today - set to a blog post). http://www.transferofhealth.com/challenges-illness-and-disease/weight-loss/healthy-lunch-ideas

We try to clean and cut up vegetables and have a couple different yummy dips to dip them in. Some other things I have on hand for snacking (but I'm kind of weird, so I'm not sure if this will help )

1. Frozen vegetables: I pick two of my favorites, then when I'm hungry for a snack, and busy, just microwave it with olive oil, salt, pepper and cayenne.

2. Popcorn with olive oil, coconut oil, and salt (sometimes we sprinkle on a little nutritional yeast, which is available in the health food section of most grocery stores)

3. Raw vegetables and dip, hummus, etc. Our cashew dip is our favorite - and high in protein. Plus, cashews are supposed to be helpful for a good mood. Not to mention high in protein.

4. Gluten free pasta with marinara from a jar - it doesn't need a lot of attention while it cooks, so I can make it when I'm busy. I always add the marinara to the pasta in the pan and cook it a minute or so, adding cayenne (yeah - there's a theme here - I love spicy food :))

5. Left overs - I try to cook far more than we need whenever I cook anything, that way we have leftovers (which make great snacks and lunches)

6. Smoothie - no need to get fancy. Just throw whatever fruit/berry you feel like in there, add some coconut milk and banana, and voila! Yummy snack. We add hemp powder if we need protein, and honey if it's not sweet enough.

7. Eggs and greens. These literally take 5 minutes to cook - at the very most (usually less). Heat the pan, cook the eggs how you like them (we like them fried in olive oil, or poached, a little runny in the middle, with salt, pepper, coriander powder, and - yes you guessed it - cayenne. Well, actually, red pepper flakes work well here too). THEN after the eggs are cooked, toss the greens in the pan with about a tablespoon of apply cider vinegar (we fill the saute pan up with kale - spinach also works), cook on med-high to high heat, in the same seasonings. Plate the greens with the eggs on top. The runny yolk and seasoning makes the most AMAZING sauce on the greens.

If all else fails, a spoon ful of peanut butter is one of our favorite sugary treat replacements.

I love vegetable and protein based snacks because we can eat as much of them as we want without worrying about putting the wrong kind of calories and fat into our bodies.

Hope this helps! Have a great day!