Is Zumba really enough for my body?

Options
CrazyTrackLady
CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
Big Zumba fan here! I love going to classes and my abs have never been more sculpted than they are now. I also have great tone in my arms, shoulders and calves. The question I have is: Is Zumba enough of an all over body workout? I don't weight train (I don't want to get ripped, just toned), and I don't do elliptical or biking, etc. My main workouts are cardiovascular: zumba, tennis, walking, etc.

Is it possible that my arm toning exercises constitute as "strength training", since I AM building muscles?

Advice??

Replies

• ilovereese13
    Options
    Have you tried Zumba Toning? It's a little more intense than regular Zumba and you incorporate 1-3 pound wights. That might be a good way for you to feel like you're getting toned but still doing what you love. Zumba :)
  • gpatalano
    Options
    Don't get me wrong..... I absolutely LOVE ZUMBA.... I am an licensed instructor and teach 2 days a week. The answer to your question is no. Your body not only needs cardiovascular exercise, but also strength training.

Fitness fact: It's not all about cardio, however. Cardio exercises are not your magic ticket to shedding pounds, but a balanced exercise routine should include strength training as well, since more muscle mass equals a higher metabolism. In fact, not only should you become a regular in the weight room, but you may want to try out heavier weights as well; studies have shown that women who lifted heavier weights and did fewer repetitions upped their caloric burn compared to women who used lighter weights and did more reps.

You won't be "ripped" or look like a body builder no worries..... that takes a certain type of strength training.