Asking out a co-worker

UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
Do you? Or don't you? And how would you approach the subject?

Replies

• Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    I had (well, still do), interest in a coworker, but didn't think it was a good idea to "go there." Add to the working situation he is 12 yrs younger, so wasn't all about work. But, think if it would be ok if things didn't work out?

And, many companies have policies against this (mine does not), so you might want to investigate that also...........
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    No, unless you're quitting.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    This guy travels a lot for the job. I almost never see him. But I'm curious about him. Just wondered if it was worth a try.
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    I dunno .. I work in a school and so many teachers are married to each other ..lol Doesn't seem to matter here!

I guess it would depend on how close you actually work together.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    This guy travels a lot for the job. I almost never see him. But I'm curious about him. Just wondered if it was worth a try.

Well, if it won't affect you if it doesn't work..........I say GO for it!!!
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    I've done it before, but there are some rules for me. Must NOT work in the same department. I must know more about them and their previous relationships BEFORE I do (cause if it doesn't work out...). It's a touchy situation, but if you are both mature about it, it can work. I am still very close friends with the two women I dated at my current job.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    1. Understand your company's policy on this subject.
    2. Even if the company has a less restrictive policy on this, try to date someone in an area of the company that doesn't have much interaction with the day to day activity with your job function. That's a practical measure, because if things go sour, it is not fun to see an ex at work all the time. And in this job market, it's not a good idea to be looking for a job. The economy still feels recessionary.

In the OP's particular situation, do you really want to date someone who travels a lot? Someone who travels a lot isn't the best person to form a relationship with. Relationships take time , and someone who is gone a lot doesn't have time. This is most true on the front end of a relationship, when you are establishing who you are a couple. Established couples can have one partner that travels more because maintenance is less time consuming that creating a whole new relationship.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Not a chance...
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    I always said I wouldn't. Especially where I work - it's a big f**k-fest. But it just so happens I am seeing a guy from here (different department) and so far I've only "seen" him here twice. And that was only the back of him. Do I worry about if things end bad - yes - but I haven't met anyone I've liked this much in years and I couldn't let it pass me by. And yes, to top it off, he's WAY younger then me. But I am having the time of my life and I haven't felt this satisfied in years with my "love" life.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Just don't...
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    I wouldn't again. I got close to a friend who worked in another building in our organization, then got transfered to his building.

That alone got awkward but the WORST experience was when one of the guys at work really had a thing for me, and 3 of my "work friends" REALLY had a thing for him. I lost those "friends" plus some others even though I wasn't interested in dating the guy (he was hot but personality not my style).
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,252 Member
    Nope never you dont poop where you eat. My sister however swims in the company ink. I just think it makes for akward assosiations
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Been there, done that. Won't do it again.

1) It makes things awkward with other coworkers if/when they find out - especially those coworkers who like to gossip. Even if you keep it completely professional at work, somehow you are seen doing something inappropriate. Case in point, one of the managers here took another associate to lunch because they had won a sales contest. In that hour's span of time, the manager and associate did not go to a restaurant to eat - because the female left with her hair up and came back with her hair down. That means something happened, don't you know? This was with two people who weren't involved, let alone the gossip when two people actually do start dating.

2) It makes things really awkward if/when you are no longer involved. I don't think anything more needs to be said there.
  • gettinghealthy77
    gettinghealthy77 Posts: 16 Member
    Never thought I would, but after my divorce, at a happy hour, I had a few drinks :). A really cute co-worker came up to me, got me alone, and said: i want you to know " i find you very attractive ", and "come on, seize the day!". It was so flattering after having been a faithful husband for so many years - wow, what a time we had :) I decided soon after to put a hold on things until I left that job ( I was only going to be around a few months ) and she was okay with that. Once I left that job, we dove into the relationship again but I realized it was too soon after my divorce. I still smile when I think about her, and we're friends, and I certainly don't regret it. I have to say, though, that my case was a little different, as I was planning on quitting soon anyways. If I had any chance of staying, I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. Good luck on your decision :)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I met my LTEx through work. We were together 12 years.

So, my vote is a big YES!! You never know who you're closing the door on! :bigsmile:
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 999 Member
    Don't get your meat where you get your bread! :noway:

LOL or so I've been told! I've done it more than once and when it doesn't work it can be awkward, but usually it passes and you can continue to be friends once time has passed. Some end up in marriage though, so you never know. I guess if someone really sparks your interest, go for it!!! I can assure you the men don't come banging on the door (at least at my age). :sad:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Almost always a very bad idea, but if you're going to do it, do it with someone who is the same "rank" as you. Subordinates dating supervisors is a horrible mistake.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    I work with a bunch of men who are nearing retirement. Even the mail room clerk is a 60-something guy. So no, not a chance. The few women who work here are just as old and have positions in HR or doing administrative duties that affect my benefits or reimbursements. These are not people I would want to feel vindictive towards me.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    I work with a bunch of men who are nearing retirement. Even the mail room clerk is a 60-something guy. So no, not a chance. The few women who work here are just as old and have positions in HR or doing administrative duties that affect my benefits or reimbursements. These are not people I would want to feel vindictive towards me.

Hahaha! Well I guess I better not ask him out since I do his travel reimbursements. LOL!
  • arkansascountrygirl
    arkansascountrygirl Posts: 234 Member
    well I was brought up to be old fashioned let the guy ask you it is his job to do it. You can talk to him and get to know him. see if you have anything in common with one another. I like a guy at my church he was super shy and I thought he won't ever talk to me. I just went about hanging out with my gal pals and went to my best gal pal's wedding. I then caught her bouquet and the guy I liked began talking to me after that.(Yes he was at the wedding too.) we became friends from that. the point was he took the lead. I just respond and that is how our new found friendship is born.