Calories burnt practising

darrensurrey
darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
Hi

Looks like I'm the first to post. So what do you record for calories spent? I consider it to be equivalent to a leisurely walk so 60 minutes = 100 calories. Guess it depends on whether you spend the entire session trying to fight off a massive pushing hands opponent who insists on using your arms to rest theirs or stand there just breathing into your dan tien. :-D

Replies

• BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Well, I only count my at-home form practice, so I always just put it in at "tai chi."
  • darrensurrey
    Oh right, why don't you count your class training? And how many calories do you think we're burning training at home per 30 minutes?
  • BJPCraig
    LOL... Well, I was trying to avoid a long-winded explanation, but here we go:

I began studying kung fu @ 15 years ago. I originally was interested in just tai chi, but because tai chi is also taught as part of the school's full kung fu curriculum, I figured I might as well do everything. I addition, I've gotten several DVDs over the years (which I don't think I could have learned off of on their own, but because I already had the basics I did fine) and attended a few workshops here and there.

So, most of my "class time" is spent with kung fu stuff, so I put that in as "Martial Arts." But every morning I do some quick calisthenics-type things (Dan Millman's "Peaceful Warrior" workout) followed by some shorter tai chi stretches and forms (including a VERY short one that I developed for a group I volunteer with), so I count that as "Tai Chi." I also tend to do a full Yang-Style short form on the weekends, which I also enter as "Tai Chi."
  • darrensurrey
    That's great. I think it's good to have an all-round appreciation of tai chi, not just as something to chill out to.
  • That's a good question..I've never logged any caloric expenditure. .I like to ride my bicycle first thing, then move to Ba Duan Jin, and I'm usually pouring sweat...I've noticed the lower I go in the horses, the harder it gets...and the more I feel like I'm benefiting externally....
    Lowell
  • BJPCraig
    I've noticed the lower I go in the horses, the harder it gets...and the more I feel like I'm benefiting externally....

That's because the leg muscles are some of the biggest in the body, burning the most calories, and the lower you get, the more you activate those muscles. And, of course, the more "rooted" you get used to being should you ever need the moves for self-defense.

As my Sifu likes to put it: "Low and slow is the way to go!"