Bench Press Fail

Options
valerieschram
valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
I was loading the bar to do bench presses this morning, and I kind of spaced out. I meant to add 10 pounds total, but I added 10 pounds to each side. I got the bar up fine and got it down. Then I realized that I could not for the life of me lift it, and I was stuck. I started to do the roll of shame to get out from under it, but two guys came over to help me get it off. It was highly embarrassing, and I felt like such an idiot. I guess the moral of the story is to pay attention when you are adding weights!

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Well, at least you weren't hurt and you had rescuers, hopefully hot ones :tongue: .

The bench press is definitely one move I wouldn't want to space out on.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    a 10 lb add in one session is too much.

I only added 5 today and it went from super easy too complete fail on my benches.

But yeah, apparently I suck at math too and sometimes screw up the plates I put on
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    a 10 lb add in one session is too much.

I only added 5 today and it went from super easy too complete fail on my benches.

But yeah, apparently I suck at math too and sometimes screw up the plates I put on

No, I was not upping the weight 10 lbs from the prior session! I was just thinking in my head that I want 45 (weight of the bar) plus 10, but put 10 lb plates on each side instead of 5 lb plates. Yes, those are my math skills, and I used to tutor Calculus in college!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry you had to experience that. I'm so afraid of having a 'fail' when my husband can't be there to spot me.

Question: Say we need to bench press and we don't have a spotter and we are doing heavier weights - Should we just back down on weight to a weight we know we can do or use the smith machine? I only know one other person at my gym that could post me if she's there at the same time as me and I hate to ask I don't know. Thoughts?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry you had to experience that. I'm so afraid of having a 'fail' when my husband can't be there to spot me.

Question: Say we need to bench press and we don't have a spotter and we are doing heavier weights - Should we just back down on weight to a weight we know we can do or use the smith machine? I only know one other person at my gym that could post me if she's there at the same time as me and I hate to ask I don't know. Thoughts?

can you drag a bench over to the power rack? If you can you set up the catch bars so they are at the bottom of your range, then you just put it down on them and suck your tummy in to get out of there.

If not, just ask someone you don't know if you think you are going to fail. They won't mind - especially someone else who's benching will need the rest time anyway so while they rest you just ask them to spot you. You're only doing 5 reps so it doesn't take much of their time.

You can actually probably just give someone a heads up like "hey I might fail on this, if you see me stuck would you come rescue me?"

You're not benching so much that you're going to hurt yourself if you just have to rest the bar on your chest for a few seconds while someone pops over to help you up.

(additionally, roll of shame is always an option. Video here:
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-bench-press-safely-when-youre-alone/
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I need to start working out the math with the plates BEFORE I go. My husband does this with me. He's obviously at different weight amounts. We're always asking each other, ok so the bar is 45 lbs, I'm at 80 lbs, half of the difference is what...

Really, you'd think we never passed basic addition and subtraction. We struggle sometimes...
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I need to start working out the math with the plates BEFORE I go. My husband does this with me. He's obviously at different weight amounts. We're always asking each other, ok so the bar is 45 lbs, I'm at 80 lbs, half of the difference is what...

Really, you'd think we never passed basic addition and subtraction. We struggle sometimes...

yeah us too. Actually.....me more than him. I've actually stood over a bar staring at it for 5 minutes and waving my hands around (because I go "5" - left hand "10" - right hand "12.5" - left hand "15" - right hand), and then loaded it and stared at it and thought "oh no that's wrong" and then unloaded it and redid all the calculations and went "no I was right before" and reloaded it.

I don't know why its so hard.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I always blame early morning workout fog for my basic math block, but yeah. I've had similar issues due to similar fogginess.

I've done the roll of shame and it sucks but it's survivable. It was actually good for me in a way since I am no longer scared about what I might do if I fail a rep. Now I know.

With that said, I don't feel compelled to up weights according to what other stronglifters (or anybody else) is doing anymore. If I stay at 65 lbs for a month until it's light as a feather then that's fine with me. I am in this for the long haul and staying injury free is truly my number one goal.

I will always diss Smith machines because of their limited range of movement. I'd rather stay at 65 lbs. for a YEAR than think I can really bench reps of 100 lbs on an assistance machine. There are buff people who use the Smith machine regularly so it's definitely a personal philosophy/preference.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I had to do the barbell roll of shame tonight as well, lol. As I was doing it some guy came rushing over to help :smile: .
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    We're always asking each other, ok so the bar is 45 lbs, I'm at 80 lbs, half of the difference is what...

Glad I'm not the only one who has math problems! :laugh:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't know why its so hard.
    I don't either! It's kind of embarrassing. :blushing:
  • aj_31
    Options

OMG I'm terrible at math. Sounds just like me.
  • aj_31
    Options

can you drag a bench over to the power rack? If you can you set up the catch bars so they are at the bottom of your range, then you just put it down on them and suck your tummy in to get out of there.

If not, just ask someone you don't know if you think you are going to fail. They won't mind - especially someone else who's benching will need the rest time anyway so while they rest you just ask them to spot you. You're only doing 5 reps so it doesn't take much of their time.

You can actually probably just give someone a heads up like "hey I might fail on this, if you see me stuck would you come rescue me?"

You're not benching so much that you're going to hurt yourself if you just have to rest the bar on your chest for a few seconds while someone pops over to help you up.

(additionally, roll of shame is always an option. Video here:
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-bench-press-safely-when-youre-alone/

You know I didn't even think about the rack. That would totally work. Thanks for the tip!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've completely lost track of how many times I"ve done the math wrong. Occasionally I"m successfull and then I just go to the next weight on the next session. If I did it too low for more than one set, I just stick with it and do the increase the next time.

To me failing is just showing that you are working to progress. :happy: