Changing the plan

Options
d3mon4ngel
d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get people's input on my new plan.

Currently I'm following the automatic settings that MFP calculates for me. I'm 5'3" and 173lbs, aiming for somewhere between 126 and 140 depending on how I'm feeling on any particular day. I have a desk job, where I am literally sat on my backside for 9 hours a day, only having to move to go to lunch or to the bathroom. I select a sedentary lifestyle, and then log any extra activity I do. I try to eat back all of my exercise calories.

This site has calculated my net calorie intake to lose 1lb a week at 1350. This same site calculates my BMR at 1479, so it is actually suggesting that I eat below the minimum that it thinks my body should need. This has been working for the most part, and I've lost 15lbs in around 3 months. I've not been working out for the past two weeks due to not being well, but today I'm going to change that and get right back out there! (My friend can now run for 17 minutes in one go, so I've got some catching up to do! :laugh: )

I've been reading up about the fat2fit radio method (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/). For those that haven't seen this, the basic premise is that if you start eating at maintenance for your goal weight, you will eventually become that weight, and never need to diet again as long as you stick to that amount for the rest of your life. The other thing that it mentions is to never eat below your BMR as you are likely to mess up your metabolism that way.

To me, this seems like a very logical way of looking at it so I'm going to give it a try. After I weigh in on Monday morning, I'm going to change my calorie plan to match what fat2fit radio recommends. The figures for my new plan, as calculated using their BMR tool, using a goal weight of 126:

- Current BMR: 1563
- Sedentary at goal: 1630

OK, so after seeing these figures, I'm going to set my net calorie intake to 1650. Slightly above the goal figure, as I think I'd look too thin if I did actually go to 126, but still 200 less than maintenance at my current weight (according to MFP). I'm still going to log all exercise that I do and I always try to eat back all my exercise calories. I'll admit that the thought of increasing my intake is slightly scary! I'd hate to put back the pounds that I've lost, but I am expecting an increase for at least the first few weeks as my body gets used to it. I'm going to keep checking in my weight on a Monday, so you can all see how it's working (or not as the case may be!)

So what do you think? Does it sound like a reasonable plan? Are any of you trying this, and if so, how are you finding it?

Sam x