Bread/Pasta

Options
spoulsen82
spoulsen82 Posts: 30 Member
okay, so here is one i have been debating with myself on. i want to include bread and pasta in my real foods list, but i am not sure if i should.

what does everyone else think?

obviously, the white bread or wonder bread is not real. same with most pasta. seems like the cheap stuff and the most prevalent stuff is the over-processed junk.

has anyone found a good bread or pasta source that you consider to be a real, whole food?

how about homemade? anyone make bread or pasta? what type of flour?

Replies

• jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I really like Dave's Killer bread. It is all organic whole grains and non-gmo. There are many kinds I think and I love them all! I would like to make my own bread but it is difficult for me as I haven't mastered it yet.
    http://www.daveskillerbread.com/
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say to listen to his story.. pretty amazing and inspirational..
  • thinmg
    thinmg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I buy essene sprouted bread low in carbs and high in protein. fills you up & its yummy, google it. love it.
    Pasta I buy mung bean fettuchini which is a protein made out of beans. Both bought at the health food store.
    Good luck
  • spoulsen82
    Options
    thanks for the ideas! unfortunately, over here in turkey, i can't get any of this... BUT i am looking for similar, local options.and i can't wait to get back to the states to try these!
  • renlewis170
    renlewis170 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mmmm! Can't wait to try some of these. I've been trying to make my own bread, but success has been limited so far. My personal feeling is that homemade bread counts as real for me. Until I master my recipe (or cooking skill as the case may be) I like some of the more natural ones found in the freezer sections. But you probably haven't access to those in Turkey either!!

I used to make pretty good bread when I had a bread machine... something to think about :)
  • spoulsen82
    Options
    i DO have a bread machine, in fact. that was going to by my next topic. since i can't get the good breads over here, what about flour?

what types of flour does everyone use? or consider whole/real?
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    ABeautifulDistraction Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've been researching spelt flour. It seems to be a great option, especially if you buy a grinder and grind it yourself. I am very interested in trying this, also making whole grain, unleavened flat breads.
    At the moment I am trying to steer clear of breads and only eating whole wheat pastas, but for now (for myself) I think it's best to simply not eat them. I'm not worried about carbs, I eat lots of brown rice and quinoa and steel cut oats. Bread just seems like it packs too many calories. I do like the Sara Lee sandwich thins and whole pita pockets - I use the pitas to make vegetarian personal pizzas! I just feel like the more I try to alter my eating habits the less bread fits into them.
  • coleen_d_b
    coleen_d_b Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i want to include bread and pasta in my real foods list, but i am not sure if i should... has anyone found a good bread or pasta source that you consider to be a real, whole food?

how about homemade? anyone make bread or pasta? what type of flour?

Pasta is processed. But if you can't give it up (as I), then brown rice pasta is the way to go. It digests more easily than any other kind. If you decide to try it though, be sure to rinse it until it's totally cold, or it gets mushy.

Can't get myself to make bread. I buy sprouted grain breads, which again, are easier to digest. Also, sourdough bread is pretty good.

For pancakes and waffles I use sprouted spelt flour. I have a pasta machine, but have yet to try it. When I do, I'll try the sprouted spelt.