My Eating for Future You settings - an example

Options
heybales
heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
Ok, several folks have asked for my personal settings used in my activity calculator, to see what I'm getting, and how the deficit works out, ect.

Because I've had several weeks of inches drop and little weight, weeks of great weight drop and inches, and even sadly some weeks of muscle burning weight drop.
So I'll touch on the current schedule that seems to provide enough recovery time to hard workouts, or rather allows hard workouts because I have recovery time. This is what I'm doing after my rest week of no exercise eating about 160 above BMR.
I'll mention past weeks with little progress was eating at 2230, most recently 2465 that saw great results, and now the below.

So here is my workout schedule, starting with weigh-in day.
Wed - 1hr Spin intervals usually
Thu - 1 hr jog/walk intervals in recovery zone
Fri - rest
Sat - Hopeful outdoor bike ride, may be Spin bike on own. If outside, longer than 1hr and adjustments made. Pretty intense.
Sun - 30 min jog/walk intervals in recovery zone, 30 min upper-body weights
Mon - 30 min lower-body weights, 20 min swimming
Tue - Rest

Might have to rethink Wed am weigh-in compared to Sat am. Huh.

So, Katch BMR by LBM I hope to maintain at goal weight, which means this is actually current and future BMR! - 1811
Mifflin is 1650 that I am using up till then.

Sleep - 6 hrs x 7 days
Weekday TV/reading - 1 x 4
Weekend TV/reading - 2 x 2

Heavy - 1 hr x 2 days - Spin and biking
Heavy - 0.53 x 1 - jogging part of jog/walk intervals in 40 min at 4/1
Heavy - 0.63 x 1 - jogging part of jog/walk intervals in 21 min at 6/1, and 20 min swimming

Moderate - 0.47 hr x 1 day - warmup/cooldown and walking part of intervals at 40 min
Moderate - 0.5 x 2 - weight lifting upper and lower days
Moderate - 0.2 x 1 - warmup and walking part of intervals at 21 min

Light - 0.25 hr x 5 days - walking to/from car at work, park far out.
Light - 1 x 2 - shopping and mowing the lawn.

Very Light - balance is 15.70 - commute, desk job, home desk, ect unaccounted elsewhere.

Yes, I'm actually geeky enough to split the walk part of walk/jog into correct level.

And, if that outdoor bike ride adds on an hour like I want, I add an additional 530 calories, probably balanced between that day and next, before the next workout at least. And if I miss a workout, that's what I drop, usually balanced between that day, and the next rest day.

So that makes BMR 1650 and Activity of 839.
So that makes Goal Daily Calories to eat now - 2489

So if that 2489 is really nailed daily, my daily exercise burn by HRM is 713, 535, 800, 430, 430 - 415 daily avg.
Making my daily NET avg - 2074
NET above curent BMR using LBM estimate - 263

Sounds like a big buffer above BMR, huh?!

So up until last week of rest, it was daily eat 2465, net 2050, and 239 above BMR. But I was still burning muscle I think. Since my focus is on my workouts, I've got that protection buffer now.

So where is the deficit?

So those workouts literally burned 2908 for the week according to tweaked HRM.
The calculator is giving it only 2103 in consideration for activity calories, or 300 of that 839 daily. (use new section on Miss or Add, and fill in minutes for those 2 levels for the week, so for me 189 min Heavy, 70 min Moderate)
And the other daily activity calories are slightly underestimated too.

So 800 cal deficit easy weekly there, plus another 400 of daily activity non-exercise not being fed. At 15 away from goal weight, that is very realistic, since my focus is on workouts. Another 6 weeks down the road, I'll do another week of no exercise, eat slightly above BMR, and probably drop another 3lbs with full burning metabolism.

Please don't be afraid to fill the activity calculator out completely and eat more if needed. Or calm the workouts down to allow proper recovery.
Then again, if the Katch BMR is under the Mifflin BMR right now, that means you should eat less until your LBM is more avg or you build some up.

So also means, if using the BF% in calc, not only record new activity changes, but if BF% changes, recalc again.

Let me know if any questions. Hope that satisfies the curiosity.

Excel - http://home.everestkc.net/mbales/

Google (must Make Copy to edit) -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGZlcmNCNmhJWFhtUGl0ZEk1RFd1c0E