Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I Woke up Gay

kyle4jem
kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
To all UK/Irish-based MFPeeps, there is a fascinating programme on BBC Three tonight at 21.00 BST
I Woke up Gay.

The programme tells the story of Chris Birch who was a 19st (266lb) very straight, beer-swilling, rugby player, who suffered a stroke after a prank went wrong and when he recovered from his brain injury he realised he was a completely different person - he was now gay!

The programme also looks at other cases where brain injuries have resulted in personality changes.

For more information, check out the background story on the BBC News website at the following link:

http://bbc.in/HPggvM

But despite the headline of the article 'The stroke had turned me gay' Chris is not upset about his personality change:
"I'm convinced more than ever looking at these photos that the stroke did turn me gay, because there is no way that I was gay before. I have photos as proof and I have friends as proof and now I have memories as proof."

"I'm happier now than I ever have been, why would I want to change?"

Replies

• pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Sounds like an interesting program. Hopefully it'll make its way to BBC America sometime in the near future.
  • kyle4jem
    I'm going to record it tonight (might not get to watch it live) and let you know more in the next few days :happy:
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Sounds fascinating. Definitely share your thoughts once you've had a chance to watch it.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    I'm interested...
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Good for him! I'm already gay, but I'd love to wake up with Foreign Accent Syndrome.
  • shutterbug4674
    shutterbug4674 Posts: 3,690 Member
    I have pictures of me with a 'girlfriend' in the 90's. It doesn't mean I wasn't gay back then...just not 'out.'
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Near death experiences can cause all kinds of changes to a person, usually more spiritual than physical. Am wondering if he was always gay and just in denial before the accident.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Very interesting! Makes my brain go on a tangent. I think that there is so much more to "being gay" than people give credit to. It is partially desire (sexually and romantically), but it is also action. In my opinion, somebody can have gay sexual desires, but if they do not identify as gay and do not act on those desires ... who am I to say that they are gay? We may not choose our attractions, but we do choose our actions and I believe that we have an obligation to acknowledge the validity of a person's choice. This is why I'm not a fan of "living a lie" rhetoric that is used regarding closeted or "cured" gay people. If it is their choice to use that rhetoric then that's fine, but we can't force it upon them. They may be repressing sexual desires, but to go all Freudian for a moment, since when did our ID hold more truth than our Superego? We all have desires that we choose to suppress, for better or for worse.

I think that the whole discussion about whether or not being gay is "natural" or "genetic" is one that we REALLY need to stop buying into or participating in. Why does the answer to that question matter so damn much? If a person WAS choosing to live a gay life, what possible harm is that doing to others? Should we force people to prove that their gayness is natural or genetic to allow them to engage in gay sexual/romantic relationships?

That's my tangent.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Not a tangent at all, thedreamhazer! I agree that everyone is entitled to equal rights, whether being LGBT+ is an inherent characteristic or a "lifestyle choice." The irony is that it's often people whose religious "lifestyle choice" is legally protected against discrimination who insist that no "lifestyle choice" is deserving of legal protection

Interesting topic, Kyle! I hope this show makes its way over here soon.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    I think that the whole discussion about whether or not being gay is "natural" or "genetic" is one that we REALLY need to stop buying into or participating in. Why does the answer to that question matter so damn much? If a person WAS choosing to live a gay life, what possible harm is that doing to others? Should we force people to prove that their gayness is natural or genetic to allow them to engage in gay sexual/romantic relationships?

I don't think its a tangent at all and I personally have thought about this a lot. I strongly think that sexuality is a choice and you can define yourself any way you like. Its just that for some people the choice seems so obvious that they can't imagine choosing something different.

I hope the show treats this whole thing well. Report back OP!
  • ShaneWinston58
    ShaneWinston58 Posts: 156 Member
    I'm lesbian, and I chose to be lesbian the day you chose to be straight. I love that sentence! It actually indicates a lot about sexuality.
    Every time someone asks me when I chose to be gay, I tell them, "The same day you chose to be straight." They never have a comeback. What can they say?:laugh:

Anyway, this sounds like a very interesting program. I would love to see it. The brain works in mysterious ways!:happy:
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    I saw on a talk show, Anderson Cooper I think, a story about a man who was stung by a bee and ended up in the hospital. He started losing testosterone?? anyway, he lost facial hair started growing boobs. He decided that he was meant to be a woman and went and did the whole sex change. He was married with 2 boys I believe. Interesting story.
    I wish I could see this "I woke up Gay' program.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,978 Member
    As someone who's had a stroke, i can 100% vouch for this. before my stroke, i thought women were beautiful. after my stroke, i'm nearly dying inside because i can't feel one. not even kidding. seeing this story makes me feel a tad bit more normal. i've done lots of research myself into this phenomenon, and i do believe it can happen. i wouldn't say i'm gay, but definitely bi. curious at the very least.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I hate that they've thrown this in there: "He used to be a 19-stone, beer-swilling, party-loving rugby fan from the Welsh valleys, the life and soul of a party. He worked in a bank and loved sport and motorbikes." as if a gay man couldn't fit that description.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Very interesting, Hotmamasoon. I hope you have made or will make a full recovery.

I agree, ElizabethRoad. If they had listed those characteristics and then said how he had changed, it would be one thing. But as written, the author makes it seem like only a straight man can be like that.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,978 Member
    Very interesting, Hotmamasoon. I hope you have made or will make a full recovery.

i did make a 100% full recovery. thank you. was a quadraplegic for about 9 days, but was able to walk out of the hospital 20 days later.
  • kyle4jem
    Not sure I'll get to watch it tonight, sorry folks. Really tired and will probably fall asleep soon. But I've got it on the HD, so I should get to watch tomorrow.

Thanks for all your input and comment - some fascinating posts.

At least tomorrow I know, I too will wake up gay :wink:
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    I want to see this. Sounds intriguing.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member

Lol. Awesome.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member

well apparently you actually DON'T know that, you could have a stroke today and wake up un-gay tomorrow.