Week 1 (round 2) Discussion

Options
2»

Replies

• spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Things I learned at the gym this morning:

1) My son is the daycare bully and is on "Probation"- meaning one more write up and he has to take a 30 day vacation. Which means I'll have to have one too :sad:
    2) My name is NOT "Grace"- Meaning, I HAVE to learn to pick up that stupid left foot when I run or jog or I risk falling on my face. Again.:grumble:
    3) I run like a sprinter? Whatever THAT means. Guess I have to teach the feet how to "Heel-Toe"? How the heck do you even "Teach" your feet???:huh:

This is going to be harder than I thought.... :ohwell:

I have no idea about the running, and I'm right there with you; people tell me that I have a different form from runners BECAUSE I use my heel, whereas I guess they land flat or on forefoot. I was told to take off my shoes and run that way to see how to "naturally run".... forefoot first when I jog (catpaw run), heel-first when I sprint. :laugh:
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I have no idea about the running, and I'm right there with you; people tell me that I have a different form from runners BECAUSE I use my heel, whereas I guess they land flat or on forefoot. I was told to take off my shoes and run that way to see how to "naturally run".... forefoot first when I jog (catpaw run), heel-first when I sprint. :laugh:

I was told that sprinters (short distance) land forefoot first and "Real" runners have more of a heel-toe motion?

LOL. My problem is.... I've never run with SHOES before now. I have a thing against shoes. If I can get out of wearing them? I'm all over it. But, at the gym (where the track is) I have to wear shoes :frown: So I guess I really just need to learn how to run with shoes on? I have a super lightweight pair of running shoes, but I have a "Functional short leg" which the Chiropractor says means that when I use my legs on a regular basis, there is something going on with the hip joint and suddenly I'm anywhere from 1/2 an inch to up to 3 inches short on one side!! Makes for an awkward run. Especially in shoes. :laugh:

Think I may have to watch the running bunches feet a little more, see if that helps any.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Okay, checking in on my goals

10pm bedtime - CHECK - Was a little late for it yesterday because my gym time ran a bit long but that is acceptable in my book.

Minimal coffee - CHECK - Got iced coffee the last 2 days and had maybe 2 sips and decided it was gross tasting.

Eat Clean - NEED IMPROVEMENT - So far I'm okay today, though not near where I want to be and there was fast food and cheesey breads yesterday.

Workouts - CHECK - 2 out of 3 SL's done, last one will be tomorrow night. Tonight and Saturday afternoon will be my cardios this week.

How are all of you sticking to your goals so far this week??
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    *Work out 5x a week for at least 30 mins each time alternating circuit training and cardio.
    *2 well earn rest days
    *Log my food ever day.

Well lets see ... had to have 2 rest days already as couldn't get out with kids and then ran out of time so rest of week will be exercise so that is ok so far
    Worked out half an hour each so far.
    And logged my food

So i guess off to good start. Now just 9 weeks and 3 days to go hehehe
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I was told that sprinters (short distance) land forefoot first and "Real" runners have more of a heel-toe motion?

LOL. My problem is.... I've never run with SHOES before now. I have a thing against shoes. If I can get out of wearing them? I'm all over it. But, at the gym (where the track is) I have to wear shoes :frown: So I guess I really just need to learn how to run with shoes on? I have a super lightweight pair of running shoes, but I have a "Functional short leg" which the Chiropractor says means that when I use my legs on a regular basis, there is something going on with the hip joint and suddenly I'm anywhere from 1/2 an inch to up to 3 inches short on one side!! Makes for an awkward run. Especially in shoes. :laugh:

Think I may have to watch the running bunches feet a little more, see if that helps any.

Have you looked into Vibram FiveFingers? Maintain your love of barefoot running while fulfilling your obligation to cover your feet at the gym! Win, win!! http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

Also, I'm terribly confused as to why you feel the need to teach yourself to heel strike. If you naturally have a forefoot running gait, there is no need to work against that. The idea that only sprinters land forefoot first is crazy. Google some pics of elite marathoners ("real" runners if ever there were any) and you will see plenty of forefoot strikers.
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Okay, checking in on my goals

10pm bedtime - CHECK - Was a little late for it yesterday because my gym time ran a bit long but that is acceptable in my book.

Minimal coffee - CHECK - Got iced coffee the last 2 days and had maybe 2 sips and decided it was gross tasting.

Eat Clean - NEED IMPROVEMENT - So far I'm okay today, though not near where I want to be and there was fast food and cheesey breads yesterday.

Workouts - CHECK - 2 out of 3 SL's done, last one will be tomorrow night. Tonight and Saturday afternoon will be my cardios this week.

How are all of you sticking to your goals so far this week??

If you take out grains and refined sugar for a week or two completely you wont even want them anymore!

My goals are to stick to my Primal eating which is going on week 10 (no grains, no legumes, no processed crap, no refined sugar).

Make sure I am getting at least 8 glasses of pure water daily.

Move my body every day in some way even if its just walks at lunch.

Bed by 10:00 pm 6 days a week.

Get in my Physical Therapy stretches and exercises everyday!
  • LindaLouLu
    Options

Have you looked into Vibram FiveFingers? Maintain your love of barefoot running while fulfilling your obligation to cover your feet at the gym! Win, win!! http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

Also, I'm terribly confused as to why you feel the need to teach yourself to heel strike. If you naturally have a forefoot running gait, there is no need to work against that. The idea that only sprinters land forefoot first is crazy. Google some pics of elite marathoners ("real" runners if ever there were any) and you will see plenty of forefoot strikers.

Serious?! I think this is the best news EVER!!
    I was told that I "Need to change that stride to avoid shin splints", but I've never had any pain from my "weird" running? If it's a non issue, I'm just going to let it alone. :happy:
    Been eyeing those 5 fingers, but just don't know that I can afford any right now. Maybe next time I find a little wiggle room in the budget. Oh, I am so excited!! :laugh:
  • RachVR6
    Options
    Serious?! I think this is the best news EVER!!
    I was told that I "Need to change that stride to avoid shin splints", but I've never had any pain from my "weird" running? If it's a non issue, I'm just going to let it alone. :happy:
    Been eyeing those 5 fingers, but just don't know that I can afford any right now. Maybe next time I find a little wiggle room in the budget. Oh, I am so excited!! :laugh:

I'm not into the vibrams but I did invest in a pair of Nike Free's. Best decision EVER!!! No more shin splints, no more heel/arch pain, nothing!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I have managed to avoid soda for one week (that was the oringinal goal) so now I'm extending it for another week. I think if I do it on a week by week basis I will be more likely to give it up all together.
    My goal for this week is to do more weight exercises. I'm planning to start 30DS on the first, so I want to try to prepare myself. I know that right now I do not lift enough, so I'm going to try to get my body more used to using weights while exercising, since I will need to do it for 30DS.
  • LindaLouLu
    Options
    I have managed to avoid soda for one week (that was the oringinal goal) so now I'm extending it for another week. I think if I do it on a week by week basis I will be more likely to give it up all together.
    My goal for this week is to do more weight exercises. I'm planning to start 30DS on the first, so I want to try to prepare myself. I know that right now I do not lift enough, so I'm going to try to get my body more used to using weights while exercising, since I will need to do it for 30DS.

Good plan!
    Let us know how it goes?
  • LindaLouLu
    Options
    I'm not into the vibrams but I did invest in a pair of Nike Free's. Best decision EVER!!! No more shin splints, no more heel/arch pain, nothing!

Are they heavy?
  • teimo
    teimo Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm looking to lose as much as pos in the next 5 weeks as I have to go to a' friends' wedding. (8 - 10lbs would be great!)
    Goals:
    1. Go to the gym at least 5 times a week.
    2. Eat healthy / stop snacking on the wrong things
    3. Be more active in general
    4. Be positive - I know I can do this and only have myself to blame if I dont.
  • RachVR6
    Options

Are they heavy?

Not at all and their super flexible. You can twist them every which way. Go try a pair on when you're out and about one day!
  • RachVR6
    Options
    Sooooo haven't been sticking to my goals since the doctor appointment on Friday. Poop!!!
  • tiffymariev
    Options
    Hi Pin Up Girls!

This is my first post ever! I haven't sent my weight in yet but plan to next Monday so I can be involved in this awesome group! (My weight as of Monday was 152.4, that's my weigh in day as well!)

I made some major changes to my diet this week, I planned out every single meal for the whole week. I'm eating 5 (different) small meals a day, around 200 calories each. I make sure to get a veggie, carb, and protein with each meal. Basically, I eat the exact same thing every day. It makes it super easy to track my calories, and not have to think about what I'm going to eat next which stops me from snacking and grazing throughout the day! So far, so good. We'll see how it pans out when I weigh in next Monday!

My fitness schedule has been pretty good. I ran in my second 5K on 4/21, I ALMOST ran the entire time, only walking in 10 second spurts when I started to get some weird pain around my shoulder (and a side ache). However, I improved my time by around 4 minutes from my first 5K with a 11:10 per mile pace! Yay! Been going to the gym and running as usual. :)

On a personal note, I broke up with my boyfriend of nearly a year and a half over the weekend as well. It was a really hard decision but realized it was something I had to do for myself for my mental and emotional happiness. Now I have all the time in the world to focus on my health and fitness, and couldn't be more excited!!!

Wow, this turned out way longer than I thought! I look forward to getting to know you ladies and y'all keeping me accountable!
    Have a fab week! ;D ~Tiffany
  • RachVR6
    Options
    Welcome, Tiffany!!! :flowerforyou: