Diet foods that have become favourites

Options
I figured this might help introduce new foods to people, and that I might discover new things I could try.

I love Finn Crisps thin flatbread--the original rye flavour--120 calories I think for five crackers. I just realized this morning that I would rather eat them than toast for breakfast. Great with a little butter and marmelade, a thin layer of almond butter, or low-fat cheese.

I'm also enjoying my one whole egg--rest egg white omelettes with salsa, made on a non-stick pan with a little olive oil spray. They have become my default breakfast food.

What are your favourite "diet" foods?

Replies

• spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Right now I'd say I am very happy with those "100-calorie" packets, especially the Hostess cupcakes ones. Even though they aren't the "real" thing, it's enough of a taste that I find myself satisfied.

I also LOVE Thomas' English Muffins - the Triple Health or high fiber ones. They are 100 calories for an entire muffin (so my afternoon snack is usually 2 of them). Toast those bad boys up with some spray on Parkay (no calories!) and it's a wonderful snack. Or addition to breakfast. Or sandwich bread. Etc. :)
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    I'm also enjoying my one whole egg--rest egg white omelettes with salsa, made on a non-stick pan with a little olive oil spray. They have become my default breakfast food.

Yes! I also love my mostly egg white omelettes, thuogh I make mine with a heaping pile of spinach, and just a little bit of goat cheese.

Apples slices with cinnamon sprinkled on them, topped with honey flavored greek yogurt is another favorite of mine.

And I should really make some more tofunaise, or tofu dip. I've found that I can season soft tofu, put it in the blender, and make a really tasty spread or dip with it.

Honey curried carrots were also quite good. Very filling and easy to make.
  • VesperSparrow
    Options
    The other thing I like to do is cook fresh or frozen fruit in the microwave for a few minutes so the flavour gets more concentrated, and then top it with 0% fat Greek yoghurt.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I don't seek out specifically diet foods, but my absolute favorite go-to item is my cereal. It buy Publix's version of Special K Red Berries. The Publix version is much tastier and it's only 150 calories with 1/2 cup of skim milk.
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    Oikos greek yogurt, Key Lime flavour - it's 2% but the whole pot is 90 calories. Very creamy - tastes like dessert. The strawberry flavour is ok, and I am trying the 0% peach/mango one today or tomorrow. But the Key Lime is divine.

Sugar snap peas - easy to snack on, tasty, but not much danger of over-eating.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Due to some medical issue - I am on a pretty strict low carb diet but here are some of my favs -

Pumpkin seed cheddar crispbread with brie cheese (great, filling snack)
    Strawberries and sugar free whipped cream
    1 TBSP PB on a low carb tortilla with a drizzle of honey
    Carbmaster low carb yogurt - any flavor but the carrot cake - they sell it at Kroger grocery store
    Jillian Michaels Chocolate Whey protein shakes (excellent when you add a tbsp of PB, some ice, a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Blend it, put in the freezer for about 20-30 min, top with sugar free whip)
    I take a sugar free moo bar by blue bell (vanilla ice cream bar with chocolate coating), take it off the stick and put it in a bowl, top with strawberries and sugar free whip cream (excellent dessert)
    healthy bunch sugar free popsicles (creamsicles, popsicles, and fudgsicles come together in the box - each one under 35 calories)
    Atkins peanut cluster bars - they taste like "Payday" candy bars. Yeah, I know - totally processed junk, but I still love 'em
    Blackberries - plain, right out of the container... any berries actually. I could eat them like candy
    Raw almonds - a (small) handful before going out or in between meals. Keeps my appetite in check.
    Coconut oil - I use it for everything.
    Popcorn - I have an old fashioned stove top oil popper that makes THE BEST popcorn known to man. I use 1 TBSP coconut oil to pop it. Then I put just a little salt and a little (tiny) bit of melted butter. YUM!!! This is one high carb snack I havent been able to let go of so I can only have it once in awhile. Still fairly low in cals per cup even with the small bit of butter and coconut oil
    Almond milk - I drink the unsweet vanilla by Silk. Tastes good - SUPER low in calories and carbs and more calcium than milk. If you can have the sugar - the regular vanilla or original is WONDERFUL and still under 90 cals per cup.